topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: "Write on Screen" Tool  (Read 21557 times)

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: "Write on Screen" Tool
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:31 AM »
Hello,

First time here!
I am not a programmer, just a simple user   ;)

Is there a way to program a "simple" tool such as something that could enable me to write directly on screen?
I want to be able to:
- draw straight lines, with and without end arrow.
- draw circles and boxes (squares).
- write words on top of other applications.
- Use a "Fibonacci tool" to be used on top of stock charts.

Is that feasible??

Much thanks to anyone brave enough to venture into this project... if it is doable!

Peter
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:54 PM by brotherS »

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Write on Screen" Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Hi Peter,

Although it does not fulfill all of what you are looking for, ZoomIt allows you to draw freeform on the screen with your mouse.  An undocumented feature is that if you press the "Shift" key while drawing with the mouse it draws straight lines (no arrowheads though).

http://www.sysintern...tilities/ZoomIt.html

patrick

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Thanks for the link!
Though this small app could be useful for some, it's not exactly what I am looking for.
There are a few softwares like that, and the one closest to what I want can be found here:

http://www.hopkinspr...re/vbdoodle/gallery/

Yet, it's not in its final stage, and it lacks a tool which I really need: the Fibonacci tool.

I am a trader and I look at lots of charts. The Fibonacci tool is useful to visually calculate different ratios, and very quickly.  The user draws a starting point and then a finishing point. In between those 2 points, 3 more lines are added automatically according to some percentage: 38,2% - 50% - 61,8%  Those are the Fibonacci numbers.

If I could add a JPG I could show you, but I don't know how.

So, do you think there is a way to do such a tool?

Thanks again!   :Thmbsup:

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:06 AM »
Hi Aquarelle

Is there a way to program a "simple" tool such as something that could enable me to write directly on screen?
I want to be able to:
- draw straight lines, with and without end arrow.
- draw circles and boxes (squares).

- write words on top of other applications.
- Use a "Fibonacci tool" to be used on top of stock charts.

The use for this small app is limited to people that trade the stockmarket, using charting, and use the Fibonacci tool.
I would guess about 1 in 10,000 of general population.

So here is the catch,
This excellent website requires a little help to maintain its high standard. (WD mouser)
If you are successful with this script, I would like you to return to Donation Coder, and donate a very very very small percentage of your trading profits to DC.
Somewhere well less then 1% of the gains. :)

So here we have, The 'Aquarelle Rule', a small AHK script that will draw fibonacci lines ontop of the screen, and allow text to be overlaid.
Tip. I would use Mousers excellent 'ScreenShotCaptor' to archive your trades and notes. maybe you could post a screenshot later.

Comments, Suggestions and Feedback welcome
dB (Doublebogey)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 08:08 AM by doublebogey »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:56 PM »
to be honest, i don't know what is this but i just downloaded it to have a look and it looks cool... 8)
anyway, it is lacking screen-shots, so i'm posting a couple of them..

aqua-scrnshot-1.png
Fig. A: Main window

aqua-scrnshot-2.png
Fig. B: Desktop with the added Fibonacci lines

P.S. doublebogey, this looks like a birdie.. ;-)

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 05:41 AM »
Hi,

I replied yesterday, but it didn't post!   :mad:
So, I'll try again.

Thanks for the cool app, it has potential, yet it lacks a few tools to make it really useful. Here are some:

- Ability to draw straight lines (from point "A" to point "B") with different thickness and colors (T&C).
- Ability to draw squares and circles, also with different T&C.
- Ability to hide (or minimize) the GUI, while using the tools.  Sometimes, it's in the way, and is a bit too big.
- Ability to confine Fibonacci lines from point "A" to point "B" (instead of drawing them across the screen).
- Change the T&C of the Fibonacci lines.

All for now  :)

As for your offer to "...donate a very very very small percentage of your trading profits to DC".... Errr... let me see....
1% of $1 million is hmmm... quite a lot!  I only wish I could make that much money.  But I am a student in trading, not a pro.  However, I can offer you something else for now. As a professional translator (English to French), I would be able to translate a finished application, and then you can sell it "shareware" to the investors' community.  That would be much better than what I can offer you with 1% of my gains  :D

So, do you think my "simple" suggestions could be done?
In any case, thanks a lot for your help... you worked very fast to do something which seemed quite difficult (to my non-programming mind!)  :Thmbsup:

--Peter

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:01 AM »
Hi Peter

I just found the app you are after.
I used it ages ago to mark up some emails before replying but have not needed it for a while.
The name escaped me until today, so I was not sure what to google for.
And making the AHK script was good fun as I learnt a little myself.

Jotsmart
http://www.dailytoast.com/
Summary
Put a square around the screen area to work on.
Add lines, arrows, circles, squares, ellipses, different line styles and thicknesses. Highlighter, add text, change colors.
When finished, save the square area as a jpg or png, or email

- Ability to draw straight lines (from point "A" to point "B") with different thickness and colors (T&C).
- Ability to draw squares and circles, also with different T&C.
- Ability to hide (or minimize) the GUI, while using the tools.  Sometimes, it's in the way, and is a bit too big.
- Ability to confine Fibonacci lines from point "A" to point "B" (instead of drawing them across the screen).
- Change the T&C of the Fibonacci lines

Having revisited this software, it is handy. ($20) non expiring Trial inserts small advert below email, and advert below GUI
The 'Aquarelle Rule' is very narrow, very few people would have any use for it.
'Jotsmart' is something everyone could use.

when i have some spare time, i will play with the Fibonacci line script, it can draw the ratios on screen automatically so is more accurate then by hand. a combination of Jotsmart and the script should do everything you need

Good luck with your trading.

Side note. (whilst researching what a fibonacci is)
I read with interest a idea of creating a full automatic mechanical trading system. A application that would Buy and Sell via the internet without human intervention. You set the rules, give it some dollars, and sit back. Hmmmm, would it be possible.

dB
doublebogey

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:07 AM by doublebogey »

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for the link!

I also have read a lot about so called "mechanical trading system" where the machine does the work for you.  Well, it's one of the best way to go broke!

Trading involves human psychology: fear, greed, hope, etc. all which a machine can't do!

But, if you ever have time to delve a bit deeper into the "Aquarelle Rule", then please let me know!

And, maybe you don't know but there are thousands of people clung to their computer everyday, and watching the stock market, and their own stocks and options.  They use all kinds of tools, the Fibonacci is one of them.

As I said, if someone (you ;)) can make such a tool, then many traders would be happy to give "generously" to DC!

Imagine all you could do with that... much better than trading  :D

Thanks and have a sunny day  8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 03:00 PM »
My sister uses this with an interactive whiteboard in her class; it's a bit outside of what you are asking for but it's pretty damn nice:

http://www.smarttech.../software/sb_win.asp

It does a lot including letting you draw on screen in a variety of ways, but also some very cool stuff that helps in illustrating concepts like snagging images from web pages and maintaining galleries, etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:04 PM by mouser »

ChippyLasticko

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Try Deskmarker if you just want to doodle on the screen. Very easy / quick / fast. Has hotkeys to clear the "scribbles" as well :

http://www.deskmarke...m/en/screenshots.php

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Hello doublebogey,

I have been away for awhile, and came back to check on the above project. As I said, I am not a programmer, but I still tried to fiddle the codes you gave me under "Aquarelle rule.ahk".  Here is what I wanted to do:

I wanted to add 2 more lines under AND above the 2 main line entries. These Line 1 is supposed to be at 132% above the entry line (identified "high"), and line 2 is supposed to be at 150% below the entry line (identified "low") in the AHK code.

I tried and tried... and tried but I couldn't achieve it   :-\

I don't know what to do to make it work.... could you help me on this one?  (or anyone else!)

Much thanks for your kind help!

--Peter

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Hello   :)

Is there someone "out there" that could help me with that "little" project?

Thanks!

--Peter

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 07:09 PM »
Hi Aquarelle

Have been on a break for a week and busy at work before that, will do some more later today and post tommorrow.

Thanks
 dB

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: "Write on Screen" Tool
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 05:05 AM »
Hi all
whole new approach to this,
This AHK script will let you drag two small buttons called High and Low around the screen
Its quick and simple, just like a coding snack should be.
Its also about the limit of my knowledge, but in time I might know more.

It may also have some other uses later, ie screen guides etc.

example with plain overlay and with Stockmarket graph (yahoo)

Screenshot - 15_10_2006 , 7_54_32 PM.png
Screenshot - 15_10_2006 , 7_55_25 PM.png

Hope this is better Aquarelle, PM me if you want to adjust the script, I will help where (and when) possible.

Thanks
dB
(doublebogey)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 05:51 AM »
That's pretty darn cool, DoubleBogey! Apparently, it works like a charm. (although i'm not quite sure what it's supposed to do).

May i just make 2 small questions (in order to improve my ahk knowledge ;))?

Gui,2: +AlwaysOnTop -Caption +ToolWindow +0x400000
What's the +0x400000 for?

PostMessage, 0xA1, 2,,, A
What's this "postmessage" for?

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 06:34 AM »
+0x400000 gives the window a border similar to a button, take it away and the window is just flat.

Postmessage is something i have just come accross, so here goes

Postmessage sends a message to a window or a control.
0xA1 = left mouse button down
because there is no titlebar in the gui (-caption) you can not effectively drag the window.
Postmessage is triggered when the G label of the text field is triggered.(The only thing in the GUI showing)

so
  PostMessage, 0xA1, 2,,, A

sends a left mousebutton down to the window it is above, allowing you to drag to a new position.
I then wait for the mousebutton up, and redraw the lines. It seemed better then having a Settimer running.

I have borrowed postmessage from another script on the AHK forums.
I hope this is the correct explanation.

Thanks
 dB

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Thank you very much doublebogey, I really appreciate your help  :Thmbsup:

I will now try to study the codes in order to decipher the "intricacies" of your creation  :huh:

OK... I tried it, and here are some comments:

It took me a couple of minutes, but I found out what to do with the first button (LOW).  ;)

However, in your first version, there was a box on the screen where I could erase the lines, redo them, or EXIT the app, which was very neat!  With this last version, the box has disappear, and there is no way I can redraw other lines besides doing an EXIT from the taskbar, and start the app again.

One more Important problem I just found: If I drag the Low button to the left of the High button (or drag High to the left of Low), all the lines disappear!  In fact, all the lines SHOULD still be visible wherever the buttons are placed on screen.

--Peter
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 10:59 AM by Aquarelle »

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 11:13 AM »
I made so many modifications to my previous reply, that I thought I should sum them up here.  And if I may be bold enough, I want to ask you for a few modifications:

1. Keep the box on screen (First version) giving a choice to: Draw, Redraw and Exit.

2. The 2 buttons are a very nice additions!  But, as I said before, all the lines SHOULD be visible on screen wherever the buttons are placed, whether left or right of each other.

3. One "last" request... I think  ;)  Is there a way to offer a choice between the "regular lines" (those between LOW and HIGH), and the ones above-below the buttons?  What I mean is that I don't always need the "above and below" lines, which could be hidden somehow (or not shown). Or maybe offer a choice (check) of "between" and/or "above".  I don't even know if that is possible!

I'll stop here for now... and again I want to express my deepest appreciation for your work!

--Peter

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 02:31 AM »
Hi Peter

1. Keep the box on screen (First version) giving a choice to: Draw, Redraw and Exit.
2. The 2 buttons are a very nice additions!  But, as I said before, all the lines SHOULD be visible on screen wherever the buttons are placed, whether left or right of each other.
3. One "last" request... I think  ;)  Is there a way to offer a choice between the "regular lines" (those between LOW and HIGH), and the ones above-below the buttons?  What I mean is that I don't always need the "above and below" lines, which could be hidden somehow (or not shown). Or maybe offer a choice (check) of "between" and/or "above".  I don't even know if that is possible!

1. The box is back.
2. Lines work all the time, but remember that the calculation is based on the 'high' being above the 'low'
3. Checkboxes to show/hide lines inside and outside.
small bonus extra - choose the colour of the outside/inside lines.

Screenshot - 10_17_2006 , 5_30_02 PM.png

Have fun
dB
doublebogey

Aquarelle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 06:23 PM »
WOW! and Double-WOW!
I'm really impressed of what you did   :Thmbsup:

I'll take a "serious" look at it next week-end, and let you know more about my "wow" feelings  :D

Thanks and... double thanks for... who else!  doublebogey  ;D

--Peter

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 06:28 PM »
WOW! and Double-WOW!
I'm really impressed of what you did   :Thmbsup:

Just remembering here...
Usual DC courtesy towards people you consider do a good job... Send them some thank you credits ;)