topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Services hanging on startup  (Read 4745 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Services hanging on startup
« on: August 05, 2006, 08:57 AM »
Anyone any idea how to get services that sometimes stick on 'starting' during startup to start properly.

Eg. "World Wide Web Publishing" service sometimes stops responding during startup. There is a system event entry:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7034
Date:      05/08/2006
Time:      12:01:30
User:      N/A
Computer:   LAIRDSWOOD
Description:
The World Wide Web Publishing service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

The service is set to automatic - but if I change it to manual and start it manually after the system has started up there is no problem?

Is this a clash during startup with too mnay apps and services competing to start (which should be repaired by delaying starup either using "Start Delayer" or manually running a script to startup the service at a different point in the sequence?

Or is there another issue?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Services hanging on startup
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Sounds like its dependencies are not starting up. If the dependency services fail to start first, the WWP service will not start. Try delaying it

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 06:08 AM »
Thanks for the ideas but I have worked out another solution which works ...

Basically Josh was correct it was dependencies - when you install IIS from the WinXPSP2 Add/Remove progs applet it should set up the dependencies so that "World Wide Web Publishing" depends on IIS and RPC being present. When I checked the registry settings it turned out that RPC was not listed as a dependency. I have added it and now I get no error on startup.

I had never found these settings before but it was a useful investigation searching for and modifying the dependencies - whic I will not for future reference:

To get the service name go the Administrator Tools > Services applet and double click the service you are interested. The short name for the service is given at the top:

sc1.png

Check out the Dependencies tab:

sc2.png

and then open the properites for the dependency services and note their short names.

Now go to REGEDIT (take extreme care - bad registry editing can destroy your installation!) and find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\...

replacing ... witht he short service name for the service you are checking ... in my case this was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC

sc4.png

One of the values should be called "DependOnService" and should have type REG_MULTI_SZ (if there are dependencies and this value does not exist create it).

sc3.png

Double click "DependOnService" the dependiency servces should be listed one per line (in my case RpcSs was not listed). If any are not present you can add them here. Click OK and close REGEDIT - restart and the dependencies should be fixed.

I am still getting the odd minor glitch on startup with other processes - but they are now rare occurences.

On thing I have noticed is that my network connection now starts and initialises much earlier in the boot process which means apps like IM are logging in more easily whereas before they timed out waiting for the network connection to initialise.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:11 AM by Carol Haynes »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Good to hear its working now Carol!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator