Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 06, 2016, 02:22:52 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SAS updates continue after expired subscription  (Read 762 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SAS updates continue after expired subscription
« on: January 27, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
You lose Real-Time Protection, Scheduled Scanning and Automatic Updates; but if money is tight (me) this may be one less expense.   :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Miles Ahead Software
    • Donate to Member
Re: SAS updates continue after expired subscription
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
You lose Real-Time Protection, Scheduled Scanning and Automatic Updates; but if money is tight (me) this may be one less expense.   :)

Generally I don't like real time protection anyway.  I have been using the free version of SAS for years.  :Thmbsup:

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43:28 AM »

Generally I don't like real time protection anyway.  I have been using the free version of SAS for years.  :Thmbsup:

Hindsight -

Real-time protection provides a false sense of security.  Waste of money IMO.  SAS real-time didn't block the FBI hoax.  (Avast missed it as well).

Maybe it should be REAL time protection.  Relatively Effective Although Lacking   :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Miles Ahead Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:41:16 AM »

Hindsight -

Real-time protection provides a false sense of security.  Waste of money IMO.  SAS real-time didn't block the FBI hoax.  (Avast missed it as well).

Maybe it should be REAL time protection.  Relatively Effective Although Lacking   :(

I have told this before.  But the only time I ever had a system hosed by malware was an IE BHO.  I had 2 desktops with a kvma switch.  The other PC was brand new and I was still doing the initialization.  Since it was a preload of Vista x64 and I did not have the chance to make recovery disks or a backup image yet, when I could not get the kvma to switch to the PC that was being hosed I just let it happen rather than risk losing the preload on the new PC.

I just wiped the hosed PC and installed XP Pro on it.  So far I have never had a rootkit or anything more serious than prankware(opening a zillion windows etc..)

Every time I tried something real time other than straight VSS based stuff, it hampered how my machines ran to an unacceptable level.  So I really have no choice.  The way I use RollbackRX is similar to ToolWiz Time Freeze.  I just use the baseline to back off installs I don't like.  Time Freeze is free and is OK but it squeezes the write redirects into a 5 GB file.  For some things this is fine but other times you notice a severe performance degradation.  But I would likely not put up with all the hassle involved in using RollbackRX if System Restore worked on my Laptop.  I have to uninstall RollbackRX to defrag and/or backup with Macrium.  Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.  :)