ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SAS updates continue after expired subscription

(1/2) > >>

crabby3:
You lose Real-Time Protection, Scheduled Scanning and Automatic Updates; but if money is tight (me) this may be one less expense.   :)

MilesAhead:
You lose Real-Time Protection, Scheduled Scanning and Automatic Updates; but if money is tight (me) this may be one less expense.   :)

-crabby3 (January 27, 2016, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Generally I don't like real time protection anyway.  I have been using the free version of SAS for years.  :Thmbsup:

crabby3:

--- End quote ---

Generally I don't like real time protection anyway.  I have been using the free version of SAS for years.  :Thmbsup:

-MilesAhead (January 28, 2016, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hindsight -

Real-time protection provides a false sense of security.  Waste of money IMO.  SAS real-time didn't block the FBI hoax.  (Avast missed it as well).

Maybe it should be REAL time protection.  Relatively Effective Although Lacking   :(

MilesAhead:

--- End quote ---

-MilesAhead (January 28, 2016, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hindsight -

Real-time protection provides a false sense of security.  Waste of money IMO.  SAS real-time didn't block the FBI hoax.  (Avast missed it as well).

Maybe it should be REAL time protection.  Relatively Effective Although Lacking   :(
-crabby3 (January 31, 2016, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have told this before.  But the only time I ever had a system hosed by malware was an IE BHO.  I had 2 desktops with a kvma switch.  The other PC was brand new and I was still doing the initialization.  Since it was a preload of Vista x64 and I did not have the chance to make recovery disks or a backup image yet, when I could not get the kvma to switch to the PC that was being hosed I just let it happen rather than risk losing the preload on the new PC.

I just wiped the hosed PC and installed XP Pro on it.  So far I have never had a rootkit or anything more serious than prankware(opening a zillion windows etc..)

Every time I tried something real time other than straight VSS based stuff, it hampered how my machines ran to an unacceptable level.  So I really have no choice.  The way I use RollbackRX is similar to ToolWiz Time Freeze.  I just use the baseline to back off installs I don't like.  Time Freeze is free and is OK but it squeezes the write redirects into a 5 GB file.  For some things this is fine but other times you notice a severe performance degradation.  But I would likely not put up with all the hassle involved in using RollbackRX if System Restore worked on my Laptop.  I have to uninstall RollbackRX to defrag and/or backup with Macrium.  Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.  :)

crabby3:
Thought I would update this a bit.

The SAS Application updates continue after expired subscription as well.  :)

Unlike most people, I presume, I watch the update process happen and today I got a fleeting glance of the app update along with the virus definitions.

It happened too quickly for a screen shot... maybe next time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version