topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GOG.com's mystery gifts return  (Read 4937 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
GOG.com's mystery gifts return
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:22 AM »
GOG.com is having another big sale with deals changing every few days. Also returning is the mystery game, which was a pinata in the last sale, where you pay $3 for a game worth between $10-35 which is not listed in the current sales.

Did anyone find out last time if you got to find out what it was before deciding to keep it or gift it to someone else?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:28 AM by Deozaan »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GOG.com's mystery gifts return
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Did anyone find out last time if you got to find out what it was before deciding to keep it or gift it to someone else?

I don't know if you found out before the purchase was completed, but you can purchase as a gift and if you want to keep it just redeem the gift code yourself.

Also, I believe that if you made such a purchase and decided your didn't want the game and preferred to gift it, customer service was pretty good about doing the work to remove the game from your library and issue a gift code. 

Update - I hadn't thought of this drawback to opting for a gift code:

Public Service Announcement: Be warned, if you buy the Mystery Game as a gift, there is no guarantee that you won't get a game you already own. This has been standard practice in GOG sales for a while now. Basically the computer picks the game at time of purchase, and when you buy a gift code, it assumes that anything goes.

When not buying a gift code,  GOG will filter out games that are already in your library (I guess).

Also, this forum thread has a list of games being offered in the "Mystery Game" purchase: http://www.gog.com/f..._mystery_games/page1
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:47 PM by mwb1100 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:18 PM »
When not buying a gift code,  GOG will filter out games that are already in your library (I guess).

The random game picker will "favor" games you don't own. I don't think it guarantees you won't get one you don't own.

Also, this forum thread has a list of games being offered in the "Mystery Game" purchase: http://www.gog.com/f..._mystery_games/page1

Thanks for that link. I don't think I have any of the games listed in that thread (on GOG--I have some of them on Steam). There are a few I wouldn't mind. But knowing my luck, I'd get the ones I have absolutely zero interest in.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Definitely thanks for that list.  This is one mystery I can pass on. :)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16 PM »
The whole "Mystery Game" thing reminds me of when my grandson went with me to a novelty store and insisted on spending his $20 on a mystery grab bag no matter how much I tried to explain that he should consider only the stuff that he wants (he's normally pretty stingy and thinks carefully before parting with his money).

But he let himself get sucked in, and was so disappointed - to the point of anger - when he opened the bag up at home and found it loaded with a bunch of junk that he had no interest in.