topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Open Source News anyone ?  (Read 12726 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Open Source News anyone ?
« on: January 09, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Okay, a similar thread was posted at Gizmo's (no catches).
I know there are Corbett fans here but i think James Corbett deserves some real "open" support.
http://www.corbettreport.com/
Not only is he Canadian (hé), but a Canuck living in Japan (of all places!).
So, why would James be better than others like Glenn Beck and the likes?
Well, one, he doesn't step over anybodies toes (Sean Hannity ring a bell?).
He lets his interviewed people talk without criss-crossing over them with his own opinions.

So... where is the FED listed in your telephone book?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Open Source News anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I support The Corbett Report with a monthly subscription. He does amazing work.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:32 AM »
The only one i've come to appreciate after James would be Alex Jones.
Alex reminds me of the days of "Mad Dog Vachon" (wrestler of days gone bye).
He really muffed up in an interview with Pierce Morgan and like Hannity, he is constantly criss-crossing over others with his opinions or comments. But Alex does touch on with some good points.

Do like James best for he simply and constantly digs deep into issues like no other and his open, polite attitude deserves and calls for respect.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:35 PM »
AJ's reputation stops a lot of people from actually listening to what he says. The majority of his show is just news articles from AP or Reuters or Al Jazeera or whatever, and then he comments on them. Often in a rant. :)

James on the other hand is very articulate and calm. He's also much slower to pass any kind of judgement/verdict. When he does speculate, he's clear about that.

There are other journalists and pundits that I like, e.g. Michael Snyder, "Tyler Durden", Luke Rudowski, Dan Dicks, Peter Schiff, Jeff Berwick, Tom Woods, Lew Rockwell, Bruce Levine, etc.

I don't agree with everything they all say. That's one of the problems with how a lot of people view XYZ - they seem to feel that they need to agree with XYZ 100% or hate them. Heck, I like Bernie Sanders but I disagree with most of his ideas. Same for Alan Grayson - I like the fellow, and he has a lot of good ideas, and a lot of bad ones as well.

But, it's nice to see more and more variety in media springing up. MSNBC, CNN, BBC, ABC, etc., are all pretty much useless tools now. PressTV is probably more reliable than the BBC now.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59 AM »
PressTV, hum... never heard about them before and never thought i'd be visiting Iran for some news! Cool!  :Thmbsup:
Just hope the NSA doesn't mind it too much.
You've given a bunch of names hitherto unknown to me.
Then again. I'm not much of a news person.
I know someone who is but all in the wrong arena (CBC, CTV.ca and the likes).
Not sure he would understand James (at least not at first).
The shock treatment would be like what i heard about an Indian (from India of course) who, coming into Canada had to learn to re-express himself in English (his English was to correct for our so-called advanced "culture").

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Quid est veritas?

Few things increase the credibility and character of someone more than when we find they are in agreement with us. ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 01:41 PM »
I don't agree with everything they all say. That's one of the problems with how a lot of people view XYZ - they seem to feel that they need to agree with XYZ 100% or hate them. Heck, I like Bernie Sanders but I disagree with most of his ideas. Same for Alan Grayson - I like the fellow, and he has a lot of good ideas, and a lot of bad ones as well.

There's a funny B-movie line in there somewhere, probably from some kind of mob boss talking to the Scared New Temporary Alliance Guy.

"Hey kiddo. I disagree with everything you say. But I like ya."

8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 01:50 PM »

Funny. That's how a lot of people view mainstream news channels as well.

I guess the general public is nowhere near as stupid as some would paint them.

But, it's nice to see more and more variety in media springing up. MSNBC, CNN, BBC, ABC, etc., are all pretty much useless tools now.

Oh...I'm sorry. Apparently they are. :P

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 07:16 PM »
You sure have the knack to make those "jabs" utterly delicate 40hz.
Guess that's why you have that hurtz after 40 hé!  :D
Not news around here though!

Can we say that there's a bunch of politics with solid "hidden" agendas behind those major media groups?
Glenn Beck might have a word on that. What about Kevin Trudeau whose presently doing prison time?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 07:35 AM »
You sure have the knack to make those "jabs" utterly delicate 40hz.
Guess that's why you have that hurtz after 40 hé!  :D

At times I do have an admittedly unfortunate tendency towards the semi-sharp rejoinder. :-[

But in this case, it's more to genteely tweak the noses of people who should know better - because they are better IMO. Especially when I see them manifesting the same contemptuous attitude towards the general public as those whom they're supposedly fighting against.

Elitism is elitism, no matter which side of the equation it comes down on. Or so I think anyway. 8)

PS: Renegade's comments are fair game for me - as my comments are for him. We go back a long way. And I suspect we'd both be bored out of our gourds without having each other around for the occasional sparring match.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:14 PM by 40hz »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 07:56 AM »
As they say in French. "tant qu'il y a des hommes, il y aura des hommeries!"
Or, as an Italian teacher would say "la perfezione non e' di questo mondo!"

There is one "reporter" from the mainstream for whom i have much admiration.
Which i could master the English language as well as he does:
Rex Murphy "I am not Charlie Hebdo"

You know, we may complain or worry about various Islamic terrorist groups, but what are doing about people who belong to our own terrorist groups i.e. Hell's Angels and the like?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 11:21 AM »
You know, we may complain or worry about various Islamic terrorist groups, but what are doing about people who belong to our own terrorist groups i.e. Hell's Angels and the like?

The Hell's Angels are not a terrorist group, they are either a "Motorcycle Club"...or a "Criminal Enterprise" ... Depending on the nature and tone of whatever news report is being spin doctored about them.

IF the HA's start getting labeled as "Terrorist Groups" by the MSM and friends...then you can bet your ass that the Boy Scouts of America - and bible clubs of Montgomery, Alabama, etc.. - are going to be following close behind them. Because at that point the 'End" won't be nigh...it will be almost over.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Hell's Angels = Boy Scouts - i like that!
Would be similar to saying, Harley Davidson's don't make noise or air pollution.  :P

About recent mass media interventions...
I really liked it when i first heard (chronologically) from the Mass Media that:
1. The Interview was not going to be shown in theaters.
2. Then Sony was hacked by North Korea.
3. The Interview was going to be shown in selected theaters.
4. U.S. does economic sanctions on N.K.

Talk about a nice cinematographic montage promotion (deception)!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42 PM »
+1 w/Stoic earlier.

Most real criminal organizations have no use for terrorism. They don't want the fabric of society disrupted. That leads to economic problems which directly interfere with their ability to fleece their victims. Organized crime in particular tends to be very conservative, nationalistic, and patriotic. In the case of the USA, where would the profit be in crime if there weren't The American Dream driving the prosperity criminals feed off? Or without laws on the books (that enough people don't agree with) to provide them with ready and profitable markets for their goods and services?

The last thing criminals want is chaos. "Business as usual" is their bread and butter.  8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Just watch. In some-odd-years organised crime will be "black" (read "free") marketing things like cucumber and tomato seeds, blankets, water, batteries, electricity, gasoline/petrol, real milk, fresh fruit & vegetables, baking soda, gardening supplies, kitchen knives & utensils, etc.

I know everyone will think I'm either kidding and being sarcastic, or paranoid.

See this. Or this, or this, or this.

Or this, or this, or this, or this.

Or this.

Or this, or this.

Or this.

So, for their "black" market activities, I think it's a good idea to support "organised crime".

And just to finish off...

http://www.charlotte...ls.html#.VLclDYfl5Cg

These everyday angels were Hell’s Angels

In the early 1960s, my wife, Anne Sarsfield Martin; our 3-year-old daughter, Leslie Jane Marshall (who now lives in Oregon); and I drove from San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge to see the giant redwoods in Muir Woods.

There was little traffic, especially on the side roads. We were passing through an isolated area when we had a flat tire. And when I opened the trunk, I discovered the spare was also flat.

We waited for more than two hours, and no cars came by. Finally, we heard a rumbling noise approaching. It was a group of about 15 Hell’s Angels on their Harley-Davidsons. They pulled over and, needless to say, I was quite apprehensive. We were sitting on a fallen tree, and they all joined us there.

Two of the ladies riding with them asked whether we had eaten. I told them no, so one of them opened a saddlebag and brought us sandwiches and juice. The guys asked if I needed help in changing the tire and I explained the spare was flat. They told us not to worry, and two of them took the tires, somehow strapped them to the back of their bikes, and roared off.

The rest stayed with us and seemed to have a good time playing with our daughter, who loved all the attention.

About an hour later, the two returned with both tires repaired. When I got up to help put the tire back on the car, they told me to just relax. In no time at all, they had one tire on the ground and the other stored in the trunk. I tried to pay them for the garage bill and their time, but they refused to accept anything.

After handshakes and some back-slapping, they drove off. I know that the Hell’s Angels, as well as other motorcycle groups, get bad publicity, but you will never hear any of that from us. We would never call them gangs. Now, whenever I pass a group of bikers, I make it a point to wave.

You never know who will be your angel.

And,

"When we do right, nobody remembers. When we do wrong, nobody forgets."

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 09:05 PM »

Now why would anybody here ever possibly think a thing like that?  :P ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21 PM »

Now why would anybody here ever possibly think a thing like that?  :P ;D

Because they're all under the influence of alien mind-control~! ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 09:53 PM »

Now why would anybody here ever possibly think a thing like that?  :P ;D

Because they're all under the influence of alien mind-control~! ;D

Is that the alien mind control ray that makes people think people are under the influence of alien mind control?

Or is it the other one? :tellme:

;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:09 PM by 40hz »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Maybe your right, maybe the 81 are just as "good" as Boy Scouts.
Here's a result from searching Hell's Angels on Google. Nothing positive like free tire repairs or helping an ol' lady cross the street there.
Even Wikipedia can't seem to post a solid, clear, positive and honest portrait of this philanthropic group.
Guess main stream media needs a revamp hé!  :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Maybe your right, maybe the 81 are just as "good" as Boy Scouts.
Here's a result from searching Hell's Angels on Google. Nothing positive like free tire repairs or helping an ol' lady cross the street there.
Even Wikipedia can't seem to post a solid, clear, positive and honest portrait of this philanthropic group.
Guess main stream media needs a revamp hé!  :P

Their main revenue source is from drugs. Even grandma today doesn't believe pot should be illegal. The real criminals are in Parliament/Congress.

But nobody is saying that they don't do bad things. By the same token, nobody is asking why they do bad things, e.g. because far too many things are criminalised, like drugs.

By criminalising drugs, profit margins for them go up by massive amounts. That's just because they carry more risk then.

The same thing will happen when seeds are made illegal -- profit margins will go up, and people like the HA will move in to deal in seeds.

They're not doing anything wrong - they're just dealing in very risky markets. Stop making things illegal, and the risk disappears from those markets, and you put the HA out of business.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Now i understand the situation better.
Thank you Renegade!  ;)

It's not an easy world and reading in between the lines takes a bit of practice.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Stop making things illegal, and the risk disappears from those markets, and you put the HA out of business.

OMG!  :huh: That's an unbelievably massive oversimplification if I ever heard one. But I'm guessing Ren is cutting corners and overstating things to make his point?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 01:47 AM »
Stop making things illegal, and the risk disappears from those markets, and you put the HA out of business.

OMG!  :huh: That's an unbelievably massive oversimplification if I ever heard one. But I'm guessing Ren is cutting corners and overstating things to make his point?

Yes, but not by much. Perhaps "things" is ambiguous though - I meant "objects" or "physical 'things'", e.g. drugs.

The only reason drugs are so profitable is because of the risk involved with them directly because they are illegal.

There are other risky materials that cost more simply because of their nature, e.g. strong acids, explosives, etc. However, those costs are intrinsic to the materials themselves, and not artificial in the way that the risks for growing and selling marijuana are.