topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Broforce ("Bro Force")  (Read 9421 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Broforce ("Bro Force")
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:40 AM »
My 3¾ y/o son likes hunting for games on the Internet. He turns up some really interesting online ones - BubbleHit, PapaLoui2 being two really addictive examples - and which you could download to your PC and play/save their levels and restore/return to them later. A while back, he found one called Broforce - a free prototype that now seems to be appearing as a paid development or something, on Steam (?).
The prototype ("brototype") was on different free-to-play-sites - one example is http://www.silvergames.com/broforce
This Broforce downloads as a 37.7Mb file game.unity3d and plays via a Firefox plugin.

Broforce is an amazingly addictive and fun game - lots of shooting, violent explosions, splatter, baddies, etc. and with hugely tongue-in-cheek references to American movie heroes. My daughter and I started to play it with my son because he wasn't dexterous enough to play it at first, and the levels get harder the higher you go. He's now pretty impressive at it, and we are all addicted to it.
We are stuck, unable to get past a very high level (they are not numbered), where a  flying gunship hovers around blasting you to smithereens whether you are on the surface or underground.

Any pointers to tactics/hacks/cheats to get past this level - assuming there is another level - would be welcome.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Broforce ("Bro Force")
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Thanks!....now I'm hooked as well!   :P

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:23 PM »
My 3¾ y/o son likes hunting for games on the Internet. He turns up some really interesting online ones ...

Broforce is an amazingly addictive and fun game - lots of shooting, violent explosions, splatter, baddies, etc. and with hugely tongue-in-cheek references to American movie heroes.

"But ... But ... Think Of The Children and all that violence will make him a murderer and ..." (insert parody of Renny parodying Right Wing Blather here!!)

Cue App's brilliant Correlation is not Causation page earlier.

Heh so now Iain has his very own little science experiment in his house. If a smart and sensible parent (which I know Iain is) teaches his smart son (finding internet games before age four!?) good family values, then things will be mostly just fine.

:up:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Crap, that level with the gunship is really hard (I also think it the final boss and after that this particular version of the game ends).

Not even with Brobocop I manage to hit the gunship enough to take it down.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Crap, that level with the gunship is really hard (I also think it the final boss and after that this particular version of the game ends).
Wow, that was fast work! You must be pretty good at this. It took me quite a l-o-n-g while (many retries) to get past a couple of the immediately preceding levels (before the flying gunship one). I suspect it might indeed be the last level in the prototype, and maybe was made impossible to beat for that reason - if you know there are higher levels, you usually want to take on the challenge of getting to them.
Chuck Norris (has the laser target bomb strike special weapon) seems to be the most powerful Bro for attacking destructive machines or groups, but has little impact on the gunship before he gets wiped out.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:17 PM »
@TaoPhoenix: I did wonder about the violence etc., but by the time my son had found Broforce, he had already found several other gruesome addictive/fun games - e.g., including "Must Have Brains", the zombie "Earn To Die" + ETD2, 2012 and 2012/2. (From memory those were the names.)
His older sister had initially shown him how to play some nice cute kiddie-friendly free games, but he kept clicking on links to discover lots of new/different games - most of which he preferred to the "cute" games. I started bookmarking the ones he liked and needed us to help him with, and he knows to use use the bookmarks to go back to them. He finds some of them a bit scary - e.g., "Must Have Brains" and one with "good" and "bad" spheres that you can turn into squares and back to spheres and have to solve to get rid of the baddies (roll them off the screen into an abyss) and leave just the goodies.) - but enjoys the puzzle/problem-solving they challenge you with. He gets a bit scared by any games that are difficult to defeat and which "kill" his player (e.g., the "BombIt" series and Broforce), though he enjoys the animation and music. That's when he asks his sister and I for help. He was very pleased with himself the other day when he saw how surprised I was at how expeditiously he overcame the challenge of a difficult Broforce level that a month or so ago would have been impossible for him. One forgets how quickly little kids pick things up by trial-and-error learning, given half a chance.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:10 PM »
@TaoPhoenix: I did wonder about the violence etc., but by the time my son had found Broforce, he had already found several other gruesome addictive/fun games - e.g., including "Must Have Brains", the zombie "Earn To Die" + ETD2, 2012 and 2012/2. (From memory those were the names.)
His older sister had initially shown him how to play some nice cute kiddie-friendly free games, but he kept clicking on links to discover lots of new/different games - most of which he preferred to the "cute" games. I started bookmarking the ones he liked and needed us to help him with, and he knows to use use the bookmarks to go back to them. He finds some of them a bit scary - e.g., "Must Have Brains" and one with "good" and "bad" spheres that you can turn into squares and back to spheres and have to solve to get rid of the baddies (roll them off the screen into an abyss) and leave just the goodies.) - but enjoys the puzzle/problem-solving they challenge you with. He gets a bit scared by any games that are difficult to defeat and which "kill" his player (e.g., the "BombIt" series and Broforce), though he enjoys the animation and music. That's when he asks his sister and I for help. He was very pleased with himself the other day when he saw how surprised I was at how expeditiously he overcame the challenge of a difficult Broforce level that a month or so ago would have been impossible for him. One forgets how quickly little kids pick things up by trial-and-error learning, given half a chance.

Heh I hope the tone on this doesn't misfire, it's meant in innocent humor:

(Speak-to-child voice) Yezhs you are! You're my little science experiment! Did you beat another BroForce level today? Good boy! Now remember you can never do that for real. Got it? Games only. Then you can be as vicious as you like!"

(20 years later Iain's son goes on to become a world shaker)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Get 'Turrican' from GoG if you want (in my opinion) the best game of this type. The (pre-)teen hours I wasted on that game...
Challenging and you do need time to get around each level because they are very big.

Oh, wait...better go after 'Hurrican', this is a freeware game that draws heavily on the concepts of 'Turrican'. It is practically 'Turrican' but with updated graphics.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Wow, that was fast work! You must be pretty good at this. It took me quite a l-o-n-g while (many retries) to get past a couple of the immediately preceding levels (before the flying gunship one). I suspect it might indeed be the last level in the prototype, and maybe was made impossible to beat for that reason - if you know there are higher levels, you usually want to take on the challenge of getting to them.
Chuck Norris (has the laser target bomb strike special weapon) seems to be the most powerful Bro for attacking destructive machines or groups, but has little impact on the gunship before he gets wiped out.

Yay! I stayed up late the other night and finally defeated that flying gunship level in the "brototype" game!
I managed to get my Broforce character (if was the guy with the rapid-fire gun and the "freeze bombs" that pacify the enemy for a short interval) on top of the gunship, and then ran him back and forth on top, continuously blasting the gunship and anything that issued from it. The gunship began to shrink as bits of it were shot to pieces, hordes of baddies jumped out in waves, on parachutes, and they got blasted. Eventually, the gunship turned black and dropped to the ground.
After the "Area Liberated!" close to that level, the credits for the game came up showing some of the characters in the game and advertising the full game (which has now been released).

@Shades: Thanks (I think) for the tips re "Turrican"/"Hurrican" ... must waste time playing...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 08:34 PM »
***** Necro - Thread Arise!!!!!! *****

Apparently Broforce will be released on the 15th of October this year for Windows, Linux and OS X. Consoles will follow later in 2016.

And what more...there is a spin-off featuring the Expendables. The fun doesn't stop there either with this music video!