topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Maybe Not Everybody Should Learn to Code  (Read 5142 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Maybe Not Everybody Should Learn to Code
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Slate has some good things every once in a while, but most often, it just seems like so much drivel.

http://www.slate.com..._to_code.single.html

But if you aren’t dreaming of becoming a programmer—and therefore planning to embark on a lengthy course of study, whether self-directed or formal—I can’t endorse learning to code. Yes, it is a creative endeavor. At its base, it’s problem-solving, and the rewards for exposing holes in your thinking and discovering elegant solutions are awesome. I really think that some programs are beautiful. But I don’t think that most who “learn to code” will end up learning anything that sticks.

And don't teach anyone history, because it won't stick. And they won't be professionals anyways.
And don't teach anyone math, because it won't stick. And they won't be professionals anyways.
And don't teach anyone geography, because it won't stick. And they won't be professionals anyways.
And don't teach anyone how to drive, because it won't stick. And they won't be professionals anyways.

Coding doesn't need to stick. The lessons you learn along the way are fantastic.

Just the most basic things in programming are valuable lessons. Loops. Cripes! Learning about loops is a brilliant lesson in logic. I can't imagine anyone not already exposed to that coming out from it and not being better for it.

I sometimes wonder if the purpose of Slate isn't just to make people a bit stupider every day.  :-\
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maybe Not Everybody Should Learn to Code
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:32 AM »

I disagree, but the reasons are too long for this margin. (Fermat!)
:P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:40 AM »
I disagree, but the reasons are too long for this margin. (Fermat!)
:P

Hahahaha! ;D

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 01:58 AM »
Just the most basic things in programming are valuable lessons. Loops. Cripes! Learning about loops is a brilliant lesson in logic. I can't imagine anyone not already exposed to that coming out from it and not being better for it.

In the past I've taught Digital Circuits classes at a local community college as part of a network administration AAS degree program. It's a sort of watered down version of a class I had to take myself which only the robotics/automation students take currently. My introduction to the class goes something like this.

Despite the name this is not an electronics class. Instead you should think of this as a foreign language class where you learn to speak computer. Although computers use binary numbers, their language is not binary. It's logic. If you don't understand logic computers will never make any sense. If you do understand logic, and specifically the mathematical representation of Boolean Logic you'll be surprised how many other things suddenly make a lot more sense.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 02:36 AM »
In the past I've taught Digital Circuits classes at a local community college as part of a network administration AAS degree program. It's a sort of watered down version of a class I had to take myself which only the robotics/automation students take currently. My introduction to the class goes something like this.

Despite the name this is not an electronics class. Instead you should think of this as a foreign language class where you learn to speak computer. Although computers use binary numbers, their language is not binary. It's logic. If you don't understand logic computers will never make any sense. If you do understand logic, and specifically the mathematical representation of Boolean Logic you'll be surprised how many other things suddenly make a lot more sense.

Booleutiful! :D