Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 06, 2016, 12:09:18 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Educational resources for developing Critical Thinking skills.  (Read 888 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just came across an interesting educational website that I shall get my daughter Lily to check over. They already got the kids started on this at her Primary school ("Habits of Mind" they called it), and in her new Secondary school they are continuing it further.
Teacher to Teacher: Critical Thinking in the College Classroom

Hope this is of help/use to other parents.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Educational resources for developing Critical Thinking skills.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
In the video on that page they very sensibly start by defining their terms. I was a bit suprised at the definition though:

Screenshot - 2013-05-01 , 14_56_33.pngEducational resources for developing Critical Thinking skills.

"The use of cognitive SKILLS and STRATEGIES to increase the likelihood of a desirable outcome"

It gives the impression of it being more about manipulation than about objectivity.

Did a search (duckduckgo) -
here was the first result (www.criticalthinking.com):

Critical thinking is the identification and evaluation of evidence to guide decision making. A critical thinker uses broad in-depth analysis of evidence to make decisions and communicate his/her beliefs [..]
-
in this definition the objectivity comes first and the decision (desirable outcome?) comes after.

Not saying anything against the site or anything - just suprised.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Educational resources for developing Critical Thinking skills.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »
@tomos: Yes, I'm not sure about their definition either. There are some working definitions in this: Critical Thinking - An Introduction (by Alec Fisher) 14 page extract.pdf

I recall that Alec Fisher was the one who led the team to establish the O and A level syllabi for Critical Thinking in the UK, and he wrote some standard textbooks on the subject, used by students, of which Critical Thinking: An Introduction was one (search Amazon for Critical Thinking by Alec Fisher to see more).
I read two of his books - Critical Thinking: An Introduction, and The Logic of Real Arguments.
The UK experience was that Critical Thinking helped the students improve in all their other subjects too - i.e., it gave them a transferable skill.

There's a: Review (by GC Goddu) of book Critical Thinking.pdf

There's also some useful stuff here:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:34:08 AM by IainB »