topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PM etiquette and blocking  (Read 2951 times)

steveorg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PM etiquette and blocking
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:19 AM »
I feel kind of petty and foolish posting this, but I guess I just can't help myself. :redface:

A few days ago I received a lengthy and somewhat annoying PM. It wasn't annoying enough to report and I took the time to write a good faith reply. Submitting the PM resulted in a message that the recipient was blocking my PMs. I assume my correspondent was rightfully afraid that I'd point out the flaws in his thinking.

I was stunned at the sheer cowardice, but I was mostly annoyed that a hit-and-run PM like that is possible, especially since I'd never PM'd that person before. I'd still like to send the reply without going public. Does anyone have thoughts on how to do that without breaking any rules?

Also, can anyone explain how to block PMs?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PM etiquette and blocking
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:26 AM »
If you click the "My Profile" button at the top, on the left sidebar is a link to "Personal Message Options"

In the big box, you can either add names to block individuals, or add a * to block everyone.

As far as being able to send messages to people that have blocked you, I don't believe that is possible, since that would defeat the purpose of having  the ability to block.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: PM etiquette and blocking
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:28 AM »
I'd really hope that 2 people on our forum can figure out a way to agree to disagree and not need to block each other.  We really pride ourselves on being a small enough forum that we don't need to have enemies here.. hopefully you guys can work it out.