topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 7 requests: wheel, pg up, filters, action mods, resize bug, minimize, 2xCtrl  (Read 10015 times)

jukla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great program!!!    :Thmbsup:

Suggestions:

1. Let mousewheel = scroll hits list up/down edit2 even when search field has focus

2. Tweaks for page up/down & home/end buttons:
- a. when focus in search field, "page down" = one page down in results.
- b. when focus in search field, "end" = to end of results.
- c. when focus in results, "page up"/"home" should work as now BUT when getting to topmost result item, let NEXT "page up"/"home" keypress jump to "search field"  edit: ok, just noticed that TAB jumps between search/results so 2c could be scrapped.

3. Add content filters. Let user specify groups of file name filters (for example TXT = .txt, .doc etc) and apply filter modes via hotkeys, for example ALT, CTRL and SHIFT. When focus in search field, let default mode "snap back" after hotkey release. After moving focus to results, keep filter on. Also, add noticeable interface change to signal current mode (change main title bar color, text and/or color dot in task bar etc)

4. Add action modifiers. Let user specify what action to do when pressing Enter + modifier (CTRL/SHIFT/ALT/WIN). Many of the context menu actions could be used (copy path, explore here...)
As above, add noticeable interface change to signal current mode.

5. When in auto resize mode AND having horizontal scroll bar, the last hit in the list (for example hit 5 out of 5) is partly covered by the scroll bar.

6. Add minimize/maximize buttons.

7. Let two taps on CTRL launch/exit FARR

edit2 ok, two more:
8. Add options for more minimal interface: no column header row, no title bar, smaller scrollbars

9. Disallow executing results on ALT + F-key (for example, ALT+F4)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:54 AM by jukla »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad you like it, most of us here love it too! :D
I can't answer all your questions, but i'm sure mouser will be glad to answer them more completelly.

This is planned for farr v2. A very useful feature, i think.

This is one of the major features of V2, its interface is still being discussed, though.

The "no title bar" option was there in a previous version, but not operational, i think it'll be back in one of the next versions.

For more information on farr v2, check the several posts in the forum: https://www.donation...ch2;search=farr%20v2

PS: thanks for showing interest in a new version of farr, maybe this'll help us presuade mouser to make a new version  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

PS2: BTW.. ;)

PS3: Don't forget that if you like the program, you should donate to mouser ;)

jukla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
Thanks for the welcoming!  :) And for refs to FARR v2 threads. I guess I mostly rehashed thoughts already discussed.  :-[ Anyway, browsing through the threads on actions and filters stimulated me (well that and the fact that I immediately liked FARR's simplicity a whole lot) to elaborate my suggestion a bit more. So here's req 3 & 4 revisited.

My aim was a solution for users that only need 1-3 special filters and (mostly) 1-3 special actions for each file category.

STRUCTURE & SETTINGS -------------------
Shift, Ctrl & Alt are MODKEYS (not changeable)

On some settings page, let users set
- CATEGORIES = files/folders grouped through some property (basic: file extension(s), max/min size, older/newer than date x, folder. Advanced: combos of properties, arrays of (different) combos ...)
- 1-3 FILTERS (defined via categories)
- ACTIONS = copy path; kill; edit; do checksum ...

- Let users tie each FILTER to a MODKEY
- Let users tie 1-3 ACTIONS to each CATEGORY (advanced: even more actions)

- For alternative 1 (below): also tie MODKEY 1-3 to ACTION 1-3 for each CATEGORY

(Presets/templates would simplify all these settings of course.)

OPERATION -------------------

When focus is on search field
[input]      >>> [result]         
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
type text      >>> do default search
enter/F2/F3...   >>> do default action on result1/2/3...                 
tab/arrow down   >>> stop search & focus result1      

hold modkey1/2/3 (during/after type)  >>> run filtered search 1/2/3                             
release modkey                             >>> snap back and do default search           
modkey + tab/arrow down                 >>>  stop search & focus result1                     

When focus is on results list
[input]      >>> [result]         
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
release modkey   >>> DO NOT snap back to default search (only snap back when search field has focus)

arrows up/down    >>> navigate list
enter/F2/F3...   >>> default action on result1/2/3...

Alternative 1:
hold modkey1/2/3 + enter       >>> Action1/2/3 on selected
press+release modkey1/2/3    >>> Action1/2/3 on selected
hold modkey1/2/3 + F2/F3...   >>> Action1/2/3 on result2/3...

Alternative 2:
press CTRL + enter       >>> context menu list with Action1/2/3 and more as options
arrows up/down       >>> navigate list
release CTRL or enter again    >>> do action selected in list
(Advanced: instead of list, use 3x3 cell matrix. Hold up & right to  select upper right cell. And so on.)

To help remember filters & actions and their modkeys, add three small boxes forming an L shape somewhere in the GUI. The tags on the boxes describes available modkey filters/actions and correspond to the relative placement of the shift, ctrl and alt keys on standard keyboards. When holding a modkey, its box is colored/highlighted.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7360/farrmodkey8on.png
7 requests: wheel, pg up, filters, action mods, resize bug, minimize, 2xCtrl

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:26 PM by jukla »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
jukla i hope you will stick around for the v2 discussions..
you've got some interesting ideas and i'm understanding some but not all - but they definitely seem like exactly the things we are trying to figure out for v2.  part of the reason v2 is still in waiting is that i feel we are still trying to get our mind grasped around a consistent solution to the main issues that can make v2 something on a truly higher level of operation.

jukla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
jukla i hope you will stick around for the v2 discussions..
Will do!  :Thmbsup:

[...] and i'm understanding some but not all

He he, I guess I got a bit carried away. If you point out what you find most incomprehensible I'll try to clarify (I might also just worsen things though!  :D

I combined three ideas - filters, actions and the L shaped Hotkey help in the GUI - but I guess they could be used separately (or combined with some other solutions) too.

The more I think about it (not that much but anyway...), the more convinced I become that something like the idea of the the L shaped hotkey help would solve a major problem with many small applications: users forgetting what all the hotkeys are and what they do.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
mouser, why not make a wiki page for each broad topic: plugins, search modifiers etc so that we can focus things down. Currently there are lots of ideas dispersed in different threads which I believe is not so good for development. wiki pages are great for unifying idea's and drilling down to core concepts.

i tried logging in but i cannot create an account - there is an error on the login page...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 01:03 PM by nontroppo »

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
and if people suggesting new ideas can write feature requests into clear and succinct bugs in the bug tracker that would really help too...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah maybe a wiki might not be a bad idea..  i took the wiki down recently because it was just not being used at all.

i really want to get farr2 out this summer.. but i want it done properly, and i want the design to be something special

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i split off the v2 discussion into a new thread here -> https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3713.0

Jan-S

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Big Bang enterprises
    • Donate to Member
9. Disallow executing results on ALT + F-key (for example, ALT+F4)
Agreed! I would like to see an option to disable the function keys as a replacement for the digits. Too often I get the context menu of the fourth list entry when I want to close FARR.
Jan Schlüter, author of DoubleKiller and DoubleKiller Pro