topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why your donations matter so much..  (Read 3673 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Why your donations matter so much..
« on: January 10, 2006, 01:26 PM »
So I just spent the last week solid working on adding autoscroll capturing (for windows whose contents are too big to fit on screen at one time).

A lot of people have asked for this function, and I wanted to take some time to point out that this function would never have been added if not for those of you who have donated to support the project.

I think it's important to say this because this is a key concept of this site and other donationware which requires adjusting one's thinking a little.

If the software is free - why donate?

One of the reasons you donate is to support FUTURE work.

In this case, your donations and support of this site enabled me to buy a keyboard+mouse hook component which is used in the new scrolling window capture mode.  I could have written this myself but it would have taken a lot more time.  Your donations enabled me to purchase a tool that made the task easier.

This is not a request for more donations - it's more of a thank you to those of you who have donated in the past and let you know that your donations really do make it possible for further development on the programs.

ps.

this might be a nice time to tell a true story from my childhood in new york city.  It is not uncommon to find homless people on the subways in ny asking for money and/or performing for money, etc.  one day a man walked onto a subway in while i was riding to school.  he went to the center of the subway car, cleared his throat, and begain saying "thank you" in a bunch of different languages.  then he gave a little speech and then left the subway car.  what he said in his speech was this (paraphrasing): "a while ago i was homeless and came on the subways asking for help - i want to thank all of you who helped me - you enabled me to get new glasses and buy food, and i just wanted to say thank you."