topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google liberates your data, making it easier to leave the cloud  (Read 4058 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My adult life coincides with the first PCs, and since I have data and documents dating back to the early 1980s, keeping that data in a readable format is important. Companies and software that enable open standards and open formats are my friends; those that promote proprietary formats only cost me time, money, and serious aggravation.

data-liberation-front2009c.png

Thus the news that Google allows one to take their data with them when they leave Google, or who no longer want to use Google Services (software), is well worth noting. They call the project the Data Liberation Front, which uses open standards for data export, such as OPML for Google Reader and KML for Maps data, and isn't pushing for any new data formats. Google board member Eric Schmidt said that the site will include instructions for safely deleting your data from Google's server soon.

Wherever your lifestyle leaves data about (phone, computer, camera, social sites, etc.), make sure you can take it with you when you go.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google liberates your data, making it easier to leave the cloud
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:59 AM »
At last! Let's see if the rest of the big and the small guys do the same