Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 10:25:44 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Google liberates your data, making it easier to leave the cloud  (Read 2177 times)
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »

My adult life coincides with the first PCs, and since I have data and documents dating back to the early 1980s, keeping that data in a readable format is important. Companies and software that enable open standards and open formats are my friends; those that promote proprietary formats only cost me time, money, and serious aggravation.

Thus the news that Google allows one to take their data with them when they leave Google, or who no longer want to use Google Services (software), is well worth noting. They call the project the Data Liberation Front, which uses open standards for data export, such as OPML for Google Reader and KML for Maps data, and isn't pushing for any new data formats. Google board member Eric Schmidt said that the site will include instructions for safely deleting your data from Google's server soon.

Wherever your lifestyle leaves data about (phone, computer, camera, social sites, etc.), make sure you can take it with you when you go.

- zaine (on Google+)
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »

At last! Let's see if the rest of the big and the small guys do the same
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.02 ]