topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cross-platform Coders Editor  (Read 6398 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cross-platform Coders Editor
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:33 AM »
Hi all.

Off the bat, I'm not looking for an IDE (for anyone who is I recommend Code::Blocks).

What I'm looking for is a text editor that is friendly to code, you know..syntax hilighting, regex, maybe code folding, scripting (yay perl!), command line piping etc etc. Notepad++ for Windows and Linux if you will (I so don't care about Mac compatibility). ATM it looks like gvim is the winner (if anyone mentions emacs, your shoes will spontaneously catch fire), but I wanted to check things out before I commit myself. All suggestions are appreciated guys, and IDE comments are welcome, though that's not what I am after.

Thanks, Ehtyar.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cross-platform Coders Editor
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:34 AM »
*puts fire extinguisher next to chair*

What about emacs?

:onfire:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:02 AM »
I tried out gvim for a while and have currently stopped (I did learn quite a bit and have built up a vimrc file, though it was only tested for Windows) -- if you go that route, I'm interested in hearing about your progress.

For the moment I have reverted to ***** (trying to avoid unnecessary combustion), but mostly because the brain I'm currently using happens to already be wired for it -- accident of history you see ;)

I too am quite interested in other alternatives.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:16 AM »
Well....being that both the first and second replies mentioned the unspeakable, I guess i need to open my mind a little more. Perhaps, if I suspend the spontaneous fire-catching, someone would be willing to tell me what specifically they like about Emacs?

Ehtyar.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:57 AM »
There's plenty to complain about the unspeakable -- but since you didn't ask for that, how about if I list some of what I find useful?

• dabbrev-expand - I do basically all of my completion with this (whether it's in an ordinary buffer or the minibuffer) - bound to M-/ (Alt-/) by default
  • describe-key - find out what command a given key sequence is bound to
  • describe-function - find documentation for a function (that is, for something accessible via the editor)
  • recentf-* - access to recently opened files
  • rect.el - manipulation of rectangular regions (e.g. kill-rectangle, yank-rectangle)
  • column-number-mode - displaying current column number
  • which-func-mode - displaying a guess as to the current function where the cursor is at
  • speedbar - a sort of fake side panel for file, directory, and tag access
  • various programming language modes - recently I've been using one of the JavaScript modes and a PHP mode (I've been secretly plotting with mouser to see if the "Ignore Thread" feature for SMF is worth doing)
  • occur - showing lines in the current buffer which matched some regular expression
  • query-replace* - can probably guess this one, right?
  • isearch-* - incremental searching
  • imenu - for jumping to specific locations in the buffer (e.g. to particular function definitions)
  • find-file-at-point - attempt to open a file, guessing a default from text around where the cursor is
  • shell - some kind of access to a command prompt
  • goto-line - :)
  • kill-line, yank-line - cut and paste line
  • split-window-* - horizontal and vertical window splitting
  • make-frame-command - creating additional frames (more commonly referred to outside of this editor as windows)
  • untabify
  • undo
  • next-buffer, previous-buffer

A little less specifically:

• narrowing a buffer - temporarily having a buffer seem as if only a portion of it exists
  • multi-lingual display and input
  • syntax highlighting