topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Wish list program  (Read 25605 times)

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wish list program
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Maybe something like this exists, but my searches came up negative :(. Basically, all I want is a wish list program. This is essentially an itemized list of things I "want", which I can include details about including price, any http link, and even a price or price range all at my own option of course.

Sometimes my explainations aren't the best, and other people have better ideas anyway, so allow me to explain why I am wanting this program incase there is a better way to get such a thing.

Basically, I'm extremely strapped for cash right now. I have accumulated a bit of debt, and I have been unemployed since April of this year. My wife has gotten a job, thankfully, but the problem is, there isn't much cash coming in and we have a lot of needs.

Since we have so many things we *need*, we have to choose each paycheck what we will spend it on. This can be challenging when there are so many small things that we need and want to get, so sometimes we end up overseeing or forgetting important things that we wanted to get. Basically I'd just like to get kindof a 'master wishlist' going on, which basically is a way to input items and put some details about them such as price and importance, then order them in a way that I will purchase the things that are important/urgent and cheap first, then things that aren't urgent but important, then things that are urgent but not important, and lastly things that are neither important/urgent or cheap.

Maybe ultimately what I am looking for is budgeting software which will allow for such a thing? If you have any suggestions at all, this would help me tremendously. Thanks so much for your consideration! :D
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wish list program
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08 PM »
My quick & wild guess is GnuCash:
http://www.gnucash.org/

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a shot :D

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • "Premature Optimization is the root of all evil."
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15 PM »
GnuCash seems a bit much for what you would like to do Kamel. Give me a list of what you would like to store and Ill give you a program :)
CodeByter.com - http://www.codebyter.com

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:14 AM »
Here, I made this based on what you said in the above post... Let me know if you need any changes..

http://www.codebyter...ishList/WishList.exe

Enjoy :)

Screenshot:
screen.jpg

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Wow, thanks! I will most definitely use it. As of right now, I'm on my way to do some things in town. I will look when I get back

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 06:46 PM »
That is awesome Codebyte.  I didn't even think of needing something as straightforward as this and yet it looks VERY useful.

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 06:56 PM »
hehe, thnx :) Just let me know if any of you need changes added to it:)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 02:41 AM »
This is great!  :Thmbsup:

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Well, I'm back and I will now write up my synopsis of your software :P hehe.

First I'd like to say, I love it and it is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It works as it is currently perfectly fine and is everything I hoped for. Since if I were in your position I might be interested in ideas for improvement, I will provide my suggestions, but remember these are just ideas, some may be off the wall useless but are included incase you're interested (perhaps a different idea will spawn from them).

To others using the software, what I've done is made a couple of folders with a copy of the program in the folders, as of right now all I have is the folders "short term" and "long term". A short term wish list example would be a shopping list. I know it says wish list, but that doesn't mean it can't be used for grocery shopping as well :D

Functionality:
  • The ability to edit an entry
  • Ability to check things off rather than just delete them
  • An added general "note" column for a customized note, perhaps the link column could just be renamed and used for whatever the user wants rather than a link
  • Adding a couple of more priority levels might be a nice addition
  • The ability to save/load different wishlists may be a nice addition.

Polish:
  • Make it resizable - I could imagine this app may be hard or impossible to use on a computer with a tiny screen, if the limiting factor is the background graphic you could either tile it or allow you to make it smaller but no bigger than the background.
  • For some reason the text all has a gray background on my computer. Perhaps it is my settings in windows, I have it set to pretty bland graphics (windows xp, and this color does not reflect my desktop background as I thought it did. All of my colors in windows are set to be grayscale, though).
    Edit: I changed my visual themes from the stripped down version to pretty and there is no longer the gray background behind text problem. Unfortunately, I was unable to determine what setting caused the conflict.

Abstract:
  • This may be difficult to do, but the ability to do a generic text search might be very useful as a wishlist grows pages long.
  • In version 9, tabs with different wishlists would actually be sweet.
  • Perhaps Wishlist wasn't the best description of what I was talking about, if you can think of a better name perhaps it would appeal to more people but I have no idea

Lastly, I have a question, is there a limitation to how big the wishlist can be? I don't intend on having over 64,000 entries or anything, but if there is a limit I'd like to keep that in the back of my mind incase I ever do go crazy with it haha.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:11 PM by Kamel »

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Hey there :) I spent a little bit of time today fixing what you recommended. I hope you enjoy :)

Version 1.1 Changes:

• Users can now edit entries.
  • Users have the ability to check things off now (which simulates "buying" an item)
  • "Link" column is now changed to "Notes" column and users can now store any notes they would like for this item here.
  • Increased the amount of priority levels from 3 to 5 and changed the way the user can select the priority for the item
  • Users can now save/load wishlists.
  • The Form is resizable but has limits on min/max sizes. WishList also now remembers the last Height/Width.
  • Fixed the "text with gray background" issue reported by "Kamel" on DonationCoder.
  • Users can now search their wishlists for generic text.
  • Added animations to several buttons.
  • Added the ability for users to switch to saved wishlists "On-the-go." This ability can be found in the combo box to the upper right corner of the form.
  • All wishlists created can now be properly managed, even deleted from "WishList."

You can download the executable here: http://www.codebyter...ishList/WishList.exe

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Let me know how you feel about the WishList management (ability to save/load/delete)... I feel it was a solid implementation but not sure if it feels right...

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Wow, what can I say, every possible thing I could have wanted in this little app is now here lol. Awesome work, thanks a lot. I feel special, don't think anyone has ever made software based on my request before.

The combo box idea is perfect and completely replaces the need for the tabs. I simply love the simplicity and functionality of the program, very good work :D.

About the profiles, I have found a couple of bugs but I feel it should be fairly easy to fix.

The "Default Profile" setting seems to always result in a file not found error. Further, if you try to add items to the default profile, switch to a different profile, then switch back, you get a file not found error and the items added to "Default Profile" appear to be missing.

When going to "save" a profile, you are essentially having to create a copy of your current wishlist in order to make a new one. This is actually a pretty cool idea/feature in my book, but I can see how it would be annoying if you had no blank profiles open to resave as a new wishlist. My idea for a solution is either A) add a "new" button, or B) add a "New ..." option to the combo box. The button would probably be ideal, but you may not want to crowd your interface in which case adding new ... to the end/beginning of the combo box would suffice. The reason I say a button would be ideal is it would be difficult to utilize the ability to 'scroll through' profiles using the mouse wheel, something I thought was nice.

Also, if you go to delete your "Default Profile", it may be more appropriate to clear the data in it rather than actually interpreting it as deleting the profile all together and refusing.

Finally, this is purely a matter of preference, but I'd probably prefer it if the profiles when saving began saving in the same folder of the program, but not very important. What I do think would be nice though is the ability to associate the .wpl extension with Wishlist. This would allow for users to store wishlists, then open them as any document rather than the need to find the program first. This would make storing the wishlists in my documents make a bit more sense (currently, if you try to open a .wpl file with wishlist it simply launches wishlist as if you had opened it independently.)

I think that's about everything I can think to say for now, if I forgot anything I'll reply again

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 12:22 AM »
Version 1.2 Changes:
  • Fixed the issue loading "Default Profile."
  • Removed Default Profile and added a "Create New" speed button next to load/save buttons.
  • Added the ability for WishList to check and set File Associations for .wlp files

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 01:15 AM »
Very nice, very good job on this. Thanks so much for making it. Hopefully there are many people out there with a need for a program such as this.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 07:43 AM »
Man, and the only thing I had was to up the priority from 3 to 5 possible selections...

Great suggestions Kamel and awesome work (again) Codebyte...

Now I have to download again :D

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 07:47 AM »
Just a quick FYI -

The tooltip on the New button is not working.  It does on the other buttons, however.

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38 AM »
January 04, 2009 - Changes:
  • Tooltip now works correctly. I added the tooltip but never showed it :)

Between, thanks for the great comments guys :) Keeps my day going :)

skooter1121

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:51 PM »
This looks pretty neat.

Is the  AHK source available? I'd like to play around with it.

-THANX

Codebyte

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CodeByter.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58 PM »
This actually isnt AHK but rather programmed in C++ using Borland RAD Studio. Sorry :(

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 09:31 AM »
This actually isnt AHK but rather programmed in C++ using Borland RAD Studio. Sorry :(

I try to use this program now. And i am having some problem because don't save items.
So i try go to the link proposed as the home soft, but don't go. Ask me user/password.

What can i do ?

Best Regards

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15 PM »
What can i do ?

Screenshot - 26_06_2012 , 14_13_33.png

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 10:51 AM »
What can i do ?
(see attachment in previous post)

Good idea indeed. Done. Now to wait. It's not easy for me find a similar program.

Best Regards
 :P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 03:42 AM »
I am not lucky.

I have no received any message from Codebyte.

Time to search internet for Codebyte.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:48 AM »
He was last active on here on April, 23rd 2012 - give him time.