topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A version of fSekrit to handle small binaries?  (Read 13231 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A version of fSekrit to handle small binaries?
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Having just found the goodness that is fSekrit, (yeah - I'm kinda slow), I have a request.

I currently use fSekrit just for program serial number info, (I don't keep much of any other personal non-computer related on the computer), but some of the programs I have use more than just a serial number to legitimise the installation.

eg. Daemon Tools Pro Advanced uses small bits of the program code, (I think), as the keyfile - the program just won't work without it.  (BTW, prior to v4.11 these 'keyfiles' were ~400kB but are now in the area of 1-2kB.)

What I would like is a way to store these small bits of binary in fSekrit.

My idea is that if I drag'n'drop a keyfile onto fSekrit it will encode it using yenc, (or whatever - chosen just so I could describe it), and place an appropriately named icon in the fSekrit window.
When I need to use the keyfile, I drag the icon to the Desktop or wherever and fSekrit will deyenc(!?) it.

Optionally, if I drag a keyfile that actually contains text data, I would get a popup asking me how I wanted to save it, either just insert as text or as a yenc encoded binary.

An example is the cFosSpeed keyfile which contains lines of text that have name, address, license type, license data, serial number, etc in a file called key.cfosspeed so you just have to double click on it to have it accepted by the program.

Feasible?

I personally wouldn't mind if it was a separate program or having fSekrit operate in one mode or the other, (text/binary).

BTW, I know this is somewhat different than the way fSekrit currently operates in that it currently leaves nothing behind but I'd be happy having to wipe the file myself after I'd used it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:47 PM by 4wd »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: A version of fSekrit to handle small binaries?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:51 AM »
I'm afraid it would fall outside the scope of fSekrit, and would require a fair amount of code. AFAIK there's already some other tools around that are capable of handling binary files (AxCrypt sprigs to mind), but I have no experience with any of those :)
- carpe noctem

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:09 PM »
BTW, you can encode binaries to MIME/Base64 or UUE  (same as with eMail)
so you would get an 7bit ASCII plain text from your binaries
which one could store in fSekrit.

Before i am used TotalCommander for this issue i used

Fastcode32 4.0 Beta 3

Fastcode32 is a fast and simple encoder and decoder for MIME, UUencoded and XXencoded files.
Fastcode can automatically detect the correct decoding method for the chosen file and it can handle multipart MIME files.
Fastcode can also be operated by right-clicking on a file and choosing Fastcode from the shell context menu.
Fastcode32 is a multipurpose MIME/UU/XX/BinHex/AtoB/BtoA decoder and encoder.
Fastcode32 provides a fast way to decode/encode your files.
It automatically detects encoded format and decodes the file.
Update includes AtoB/BtoA encoding format, drag-and-drop support, and more.

Typ Freeware
Betriebssystem Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Sprache english
Dateigröße ,00 MB
Preis ---
Portable, no installation
Download, non for the moment, all redirect to the original homepage which no longer exists. Will provide one later.
An download for the version 3.25 you will find on this side
http://www.tecchanne...astcode32_40_beta_3/

-
Edit: silly me
i was wrong, it was UUDeview (UUD32) i've used (and still use if needed):

UUDeview is a program that will help you to transmit and receive binary files over the Net.
It includes both an encoder and a decoder.
The decoder automatically detects the type of encoding used, offering MIME Base64, yEnc, and BinHex as well as the popular uuencoding
and the less frequently used xxencoding methods.
The encoder runs the other way around and encodes a binary file for transmission by e-mail or over the newsgroups.

Free and portable too.

http://www.miken.com/uud/index.htm

UUDmain.gifA version of fSekrit to handle small binaries?

-
Hope this is no threat highjacking  :-[
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:15 PM by AbteriX »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Well yes, I could use some text representation of binary (uue, base64, yyenc, ...), but I'd still need a way to flag that "this is supposed to be a binary", and I'd need to do... whatever-stuff... to support multiple files. So either I make a hack of pretty epic proportions, or I make a lot of code rewrite for something that's probably handled better in an already existing application.

I'm just not sure it's worth it, unless you can come up with compelling reasons why there's no other application fitting your needs :)
- carpe noctem

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 04:18 PM »
My post was no implementation request to the developer
but an try to show up an work around for users.

fSekrit is good as it is, thanks  :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 03:12 AM »
I'm just not sure it's worth it, unless you can come up with compelling reasons why there's no other application fitting your needs :)

I haven't really Googled too hard but the only application that comes close.....isn't an application at all.

It's hardware: a USB flash drive with a password locked partition.

AxCrypt isn't a fully portable, self-decrypting container to which files can be added or removed.

TrueCrypt is probably closer in that you can create an encrypted file that functions as a folder but again, while TrueCrypt itself can be run in Traveler mode to make it portable, in no way can the encrypted file be considered a fully portable, self-contained, self-decrypting container - you need TrueCrypt to be able to add to it, (and possibly even open it).