In my neverending battle to find a program to store data, I decided to learn about databases. Last week I found a person on the AutoIt forums who showed how to use AutoIt as a frontend for SQLite. So this past week I sat down and got a cobbled together script that accesses SQLite. I don't know if anyone else will find this useful, but here it is. Some Instructions (it would help if you already know a little about databases or at least want to learn):
- download the file and extract all files to a directory
- Register the sqlite3.dll (this is actually the LiteX com wrapper for SQLite http://republika.pl/roed/litex/
) by double clicking on the reg_litex.bat)
- Double click on Database.exe... the program should open.
- Click the open/create database button and open sqlite.db in the extracted folder... the database should load and show items in the tree. Click on the items (tables) and you should see their contents pop up into the listview. Click the plus sign to expand the tree items and you can see all columns within a table.
- Feel free to play around. I have the GUI mostly laid out, but not all functions are working yet. Functions that do not work have their buttons grayed out.
Basically, this program does three things as evidenced by the three tabs. The tab that pops up first (Raw View) is meant to help visualize the database structure and allow you to easily create and manipulate a database. I coded this so I could easily generate test databases while learning and to learn SQL. The third tab (also operational) allows you to enter in raw SQL and see the results. If you do a command that changes the database you will have to go back to the raw view, refresh the database and look to see if the table was modified. The first tab will pull everything together. I hope to be able to make a database GUI something like what mouser has in CHS only able to be customized. Plugins will allow you to make different kinds of databases with different queries etc. I still don't know enough to get this part working... so I finish the other sections! But it's coming.
After CHS gets it's updates, it may do a lot of what this can do. But I got a lot of experience and now know SQL very slightly! Enjoy. Feel free to post comments or bugs. The exe worked for me but it may crash for others. Also, there are sure to be bugs within the code.
Here is the AutoIt discussion... its a tad long, but I'm blink314. http://www.autoitscr...mp;gopid=123937&