topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a Pocket PC App to keep a running tally of times an event occurs  (Read 3789 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am a teacher, and I would love to find a pocket pc app that can do the following:

I want to have a list of my students on the screen with a number next to each one.  That number would start at zero, and I would like to have an up arrow and a down arrow that allows one click changing of the value for that student.

What I would use it for: Keep track of times a student responds during question and answer sessions; monitor times students talk during silent reading or writing; monitor times students shout out answers instead of waiting to be called on; monitor times student makes an error while reading from a text; etc.

Any ideas?

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Much simpler is to make a spreadsheet, and print out a sheet every day or two, and then just mark off on that. You "could" put the numbers back in each night, etc.

That would mean you could easily do it with only one hand, and it would be MUCH larger, and able to have multiple columns to record counts. PDA screen is small, and you'd have to scroll with more than 15-20 students. I've programmed several progams similar to that for Palm, for inventory, etc. Paper is really more functional for this type of thing.

Just my .02

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, but I tend to have difficulty with organization at times, so I'm trying to streamline and eliminate the amount of paper I generate.  I teach writing, so I am inundated with paper from the students, and I don't want my documentation to get lost int he shuffle.  And when I did try spreadsheets in the past, I never failed to end up with at least one sheet that I had forgotten to date or indicate what I was tallying that day.

Also, I am rarely stationary in the classroom, so I would need to carry a clipboard or something like that for the spreadsheet anyway, so that eliminates the benefit of one handedness.