topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [feature request] Customizeable context menu and score formula  (Read 10087 times)

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1) It would be really useful to plugin developers if you we could customize the context menu (per item and globally). For example, in FARRAltTab plugin you could right click a tab and select "Close" or "Close Process". Really lots of options there.

2) I'd like to be able to see on a single item in results how it got its result. When so many rules and heuristics and histories and special folders, I am sometimes very confused about the score. It would be really nice if I could do Rightclick->Show score formula and get in result something like:

*] Raw plugin score: 300
*] Special folder score: +15 = 315
*] Heauristics bonus (shorter file): +25 = 240

Thanks and keep it up!

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [feature request] Customizeable context menu and score formula
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 11:02 AM »
1) It would be really useful to plugin developers if you we could customize the context menu (per item and globally). For example, in FARRAltTab plugin you could right click a tab and select "Close" or "Close Process". Really lots of options there.
I think this is the contextual action that is really the key thing here.

Its a bit different approach but you could get a similar behavior by testing the form of your query in your plugin and returning differents results depending of its form.
If the query match : "tab .* >" return the possible actions being "close" or "close process"
Else if the query match : "tab .*" then output windows title
'>' is the important part in the syntax because it introduce a different part in the query. Any character could be used, and differents characters could be used to separate different part in a query.

To make it work well with the autocompletion you should set the path to each window to something like "tab explorer > close" of "tab explorer > close process" with a type being ALIAS. That way when you use tab to complete the action it will nicely complete to "tab explorer >". Does it make sense ?

It would look better integrated into FARR IHMO.

Manu - Contextual action infected :)
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

vitalyb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Very true. I could emulate it from command line (and it has lots of merits to it too as then, for example, you could programatically call to it from another plugin simply by setting the search query to the command path). However, a context menu could make the operation somewhat easier to the end user.

I think it is quite easy to combine the two by making the contextual menu change the search query. E.g if you selcect "iTunes" a tab and choose in context menu "Close" it'd set the search path to: "tab iTunes close". Something along these lines.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I agree completely with you guys about custom context menus, especially for plugins.
Now that people are really making plugins i need to put this at higher priority.

I am absolutely committed to adding the features you plugin writers want to make your plugins better, so please do not hesitate to make requests.  You might even email me directly as well, so that we can keep in touch and make sure i don't forget, etc. ([email protected])

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 11:54 AM »
E.g if you selcect "iTunes" a tab and choose in context menu "Close" it'd set the search path to: "tab iTunes close". Something along these lines.
Yes having booth would be great.
Currently I'm pressing <context menu key> then <m> to get the system menu which I can customize with regedit... but its probably not very end user :).
It recall me that I wanted to ask if the system context menu could be opened at the same place as the FARR context menu. Currently it open at the mouse position, which is not very nice when you opened it from keyboard ?

Manu
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:38 PM »
1) It would be really useful to plugin developers if you we could customize the context menu (per item and globally)

this has now been implemented; just waiting to talk with plugin writers about adding any needed api functions to support this.

in addition to custom context menus for items, plugins can now create custom statusbar icon buttons.