Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 03, 2016, 03:47:55 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Searching a "Filesystem based event trigger tool"  (Read 3776 times)

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Searching a "Filesystem based event trigger tool"
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:35:03 AM »
Hi,
I'm searching a tool, which acts like a "email-filter-rules" but on the filesystem level. I think a few example help to understand what I mean:
  • I download a new credit card bill from my banks website. I review it and put it than in the folder "D:\docs\bills\mastercard\". The tool would recognize the new pdf in the folder and would run a batchfile to gpg-encrypt it and the wipe the pdf.
  • I store my ripped CDs as FLAC (lossless), but my Mp3 Player dont support it. I want to copy the FLACs to a folder and automatically run a FLAC2MP3 conversion, copy it to the player, delete the MP3 from the filesystem
  • I load photos from my camera to "I:\Fotos\Inbox\" - the tool runs and makes me Thumbnails and stores them in a folder, archives the original Fotos in a Folder, starts uploading the Pics to Smugmug and sends a mail to people a list
Ok, this sound very complex, but I think the tool wouldn't be to hard to code.
It has to monitor the Folders (like FileSystemWatcher Class in DotNet), when a new File is preset check if the preconditions are ok (for example filetype = pdf) and then run a couple of Batchfiles or scripts one after another. The tool only have to call the Scripts...

Before I start writing it myself: Do you know a tool which can do this? OpenSource prefered

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Searching a "Filesystem based event trigger tool"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »
LogMonitor will get you half way there. http://www.freeware-...om/month/072002.html (can't get the original home page to load).

then maybe if you run the right batch process or exe associated to a particular folder and task you'll get what you want.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 05:10:42 PM »
PaperPort from Nuance will do this... but it's shareware...
"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »
You can also look at macro programs like http://www.macros.com/
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
Hm, interesting idea actually - coding a utility for this should be pretty simple, even in something as lowlevel as C++ & win32 api.

It could be pretty useful if it had some rule-based watching, in a configurable format... like, in your example...

Code: Text [Select]
  1. <watch folder="c:\downloads\music">
  2.   <filter mask="*.flac" action="flac2mp3.exe %FILEPATH% c:\new-mp3" />
  3.   <filter mask="*.ape" action="ape2mp3.exe %FILEPATH% c:\new-mp3" />
  4. </watch>
  5. <watch folder="c:\downloads\receipts">
  6.   <filter mask="*.pdf" action="MyFancyPrint.exe %FILEPATH%" />
  7. </watch>
- carpe noctem

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »
I'm searching a tool, which acts like a "email-filter-rules" but on the filesystem level.

Googling for "folder watcher" turned up this commercial Program ($24.95). I know nothing about it other than what little info I saw on the web site, but it looks like it might do what you need:

http://www.datamysti...com/filewatcher.html
RetroRoleplaying -- Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
@all: Thanks a lot for the hints :)

@nudone: This is great - it does what I want - very nice - thanks very much

@Darwin: I think PaperPorts intent is not the same as mine ;) - its really more the Docs2PDF solution as far as I can tell

@sri: As far as the webpage goes it is something like AutoHotKey - this would be fine for the secondepart of my idea - the triggered skripts - but I dont see how I could start the macros based on filesystem events

@f0dder: This is exactly my Idea - and it hasn't be done lowlevel Win32API-Style - the dotnet Framework provides the filesystemwatcher class which is very nice for this task. I think I add this tool on my "to code"-List, just for the fun writing it :)

@rssapphire: Yes - this looks really nice, but LogMonitor is free, and does the job
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:45:33 PM by crono »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 07:52:16 AM »
@Darwin: I think PaperPorts intent is not the same as mine  - its really more the Docs2PDF solution as far as I can tell

OK - reread your wishlist and you're right! It'll do a part of each of your tasks but I don't know about doing it all. Part of its feature set is Docs2PDF, but it really does an awful lot more than that - data/document redirection is one of them.

rssaphire - interesting link to the datamystic solution. I've been using their ExcelPipe and PowerpointPipe apps for years and visit their website often to find updates but was completely unaware of "Filewatcher".
"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin