ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Searching a "Filesystem based event trigger tool"

(1/2) > >>

crono:
Hi,
I'm searching a tool, which acts like a "email-filter-rules" but on the filesystem level. I think a few example help to understand what I mean:

* I download a new credit card bill from my banks website. I review it and put it than in the folder "D:\docs\bills\mastercard\". The tool would recognize the new pdf in the folder and would run a batchfile to gpg-encrypt it and the wipe the pdf.
* I store my ripped CDs as FLAC (lossless), but my Mp3 Player dont support it. I want to copy the FLACs to a folder and automatically run a FLAC2MP3 conversion, copy it to the player, delete the MP3 from the filesystem

* I load photos from my camera to "I:\Fotos\Inbox\" - the tool runs and makes me Thumbnails and stores them in a folder, archives the original Fotos in a Folder, starts uploading the Pics to Smugmug and sends a mail to people a list
Ok, this sound very complex, but I think the tool wouldn't be to hard to code.
It has to monitor the Folders (like FileSystemWatcher Class in DotNet), when a new File is preset check if the preconditions are ok (for example filetype = pdf) and then run a couple of Batchfiles or scripts one after another. The tool only have to call the Scripts...

Before I start writing it myself: Do you know a tool which can do this? OpenSource prefered

nudone:
LogMonitor will get you half way there. http://www.freeware-guide.com/month/072002.html (can't get the original home page to load).

then maybe if you run the right batch process or exe associated to a particular folder and task you'll get what you want.

Darwin:
PaperPort from Nuance will do this... but it's shareware...

sri:
You can also look at macro programs like http://www.macros.com/

f0dder:
Hm, interesting idea actually - coding a utility for this should be pretty simple, even in something as lowlevel as C++ & win32 api.

It could be pretty useful if it had some rule-based watching, in a configurable format... like, in your example...

--- Code: Text ---<watch folder="c:\downloads\music">  <filter mask="*.flac" action="flac2mp3.exe %FILEPATH% c:\new-mp3" />  <filter mask="*.ape" action="ape2mp3.exe %FILEPATH% c:\new-mp3" /></watch><watch folder="c:\downloads\receipts">  <filter mask="*.pdf" action="MyFancyPrint.exe %FILEPATH%" /></watch>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version