Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 28, 2014, 04:11:42 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kantaris Media Player  (Read 3533 times)
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:31:47 PM »

Has anyone of you DC'ers tried Kantaris Media Player? I found about it through VideoHelp.
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:40:47 PM »

No - hadn't heard of it before reading your post. Have you tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? What are its resource utilization figures like (how much RAM/Virtual Memory/CPU does it require)? Just curious. I'm always on the look out for a better media player. Currently using WMP 11 and MusicIP Mixer. Have also dabbled with GOMPlayer (it's very good actually - I use it to watch DVDs - it's completely supplanted Intervideo WinDVD 8 Platinum).

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
armatostr
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:04:50 PM »

Just installed it, kinnda slow to start but the visualizations are really pretty ohmy
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 03:06:51 AM »

when it comes to media players, i'd say i'm being spoilt for choice.. smiley there's KMPlayer, GOMPlayer, ALShow, Media Player Classic & etc.. Kantaris looks promising, but i'll await the verdict from other DC members..

PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 05:57:07 AM »

No I have not. I was hoping one of you guys have... I guess I should install it on a backup machine and see how it performs. Thanks.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:17:29 AM »

OK guys I have installed kantaris and ... uninstalled it. Yeah, beautiful interface, awesome visualizations and all that but with 38MB memory usage and 12-18% CPU usage it's heavy on resources compared with VLC usage of 12MB and 1% respectively (I only played a mp3). More important though, kantaris setup calls home and to another remote address (did not check the ip yet) and the same happens upon launching the program. There is no option to disable this behaviour. The program also connects to Audioscrobbler - "a database that tracks listening habits". Again no option to disallow that.

* 2007-08-25_000430.jpg (115.81 KB, 902x665 - viewed 136 times.)
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »

Thanks for updating us PhilB66.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:37:32 PM »

nice work, PhilB66 and it seems like another one bites the dust.. smiley

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »

it is a little weird to see MediaInfo coming with Kantaris, so to speak (extra download via MediaInfo setup). I know the player has been updated several times and now actually is quite good, but there must be a (bad/poor) reason Kantaris hasn't been updated since December. I mean, it is not as it is all perfect - fine but far from perfection - so it should be updated, should it not? So why then is MediaInfo RECOMMENDING Kantaris? Do the two programs have authors in common, or something?
sajman99
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »

Maybe a case of open source "birds of a feather flock together" kinda deal. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.034s | Server load: 0.21 ]