topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's your music player of choice?  (Read 104894 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your music player of choice?
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2008, 04:18 PM »
yes, I know how to generate the tags, but I was wondering if there was a hack to make AIMP understand the tags and apply the value when playing.

I'm using the hydrogenaudio version of the MAD plugin, and I get pretty bad clipping. I've tried plenty of options, I think there's nothing I can do. Plus the library will not show which files lack replaygain; AIMP is really not built for replaygain ATM. And I cannot get the library to import all my files, it hungs even if I carefully remove  the ones it doesn't like. I'm afraid the version I'm using is very buggy.

bugis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2008, 08:17 AM »
WMV11 and Winamp. I find myself reaching for WMV more often. :-\

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2008, 08:40 AM »
@bugis: WMV? Is that a typo or am I just being dim?

I've tried many media players and have settled on two: MusicIP Mixer and WMP 11. I'm happiest just using WMP though... Windows Media Centre under Vista is nice as well, but I don't tend to play music much on my Vista machine so haven't really explored it (or the differences between in at WMP).

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2008, 01:38 PM »
@bugis: WMV? Is that a typo or am I just being dim?

I've tried many media players and have settled on two: MusicIP Mixer and WMP 11. I'm happiest just using WMP though... Windows Media Centre under Vista is nice as well, but I don't tend to play music much on my Vista machine so haven't really explored it (or the differences between in at WMP).

I WAS using WMP11 quite often until it hit me with a DRM problem!! I have a Rhapsody subscription (I know, I know - I have reasons for it!), but I did not reinstall the Rhapsody player after the last reinstall I did of XP. Planning to drop the subscription and the player has gotten a bit too intrusive for my taste.

But now WMP11 refuses to play ANY of my Rhapsody music tracks because it doesn’t detect Rhapsody installed on my computer. Huh? I DO have an active subscription for it, and I would think that WMP11 could contact their server and confirm that. After all, it does contact most DRM servers as far as I can tell. But even though contacting the Rhapsody DRM server would confirm that the tracks are all legal, it refuses because Rhapsody isn't currently installed. I relaize that might be a Rhapsody requirement - but I can't tell for sure. It's still aggarvating though.

And I know I can burn them all and re-rip them to remove the DRM, but its just a lot of aggravation for nothing IMO. Of course I just opened my MediaMonkey (with lifetime Gold license) and palyed them all there without so much as a DRM peep. Still stuck in my craw, though!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2008, 04:46 PM »
- why not just re-install the Real thing, and let it to DrmRemoval to free the clips once and for all? DR might be strange and ugly to look at, but it works very well - also with Rhapsody.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2008, 06:11 PM »
AIMP v. 2.50 FINAL has just been released

Changelog (in English, my Russian ain't that good  :D )
I'll have what she's having

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2008, 06:50 PM »
WinAmp 2.81 LITE is mine.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2008, 07:39 PM »
- why not just re-install the Real thing, and let it to DrmRemoval to free the clips once and for all? DR might be strange and ugly to look at, but it works very well - also with Rhapsody.

To be honest, I never saw that before Curt. Looks interesting, however if it requires me to reinstall Rhapsody, I can do without it!

I am pretty certain that I can burn and re-rip them fairly quickly; I had been considering CDs, but I believe that burning/ripping a much larger number of tracks to DVDs instead will work with less effort.

Thanks!

Jim

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2008, 10:07 PM »
The one(s) who invented the utterly useless and loathesome UI from WMP9 and higher should be shot, quartered and then burned! That is how much I hate WMP.

Recently the existence of Songbird was brought to my attention. As far as I know it uses the Mozilla codebase (and licensing) to play music and it does that beautifully (it even has tabs  :)). The interface will not be everybody's cup of tea, I presume...but I love it as much as I hate WMP.

Some stuff you would expect to be in any basic player is not there yet but it improves with each build. Last week I was invited to participate in a questionnaire about new/missing features and which of those items the programmers should work on first.

Beat that, MS!!!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2008, 12:18 AM »

Darwin, just how good is WMP11? your comments almost made me try it out.. ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2008, 07:51 AM »
Overall, WMP11 is pretty good! I mean, it does everything I want a media player to do (I also use it to playback DVD's in XP despite having WinDVD Platinum 8 installed) and is relatively light on resources. I did try WinAmp (and even liked it - kept it around for a few months) and had formerly used MusicMatch (for about 7 years) then XMPlay. I just decided to reduce the number of programs that I have installed for mp3/wma/ogg playback... Kind of goes back to about 18 months ago when I decided to get rid of iTunes, forced me to look at the other stuff I had floating around (KMPlayer, GOM Player, DivX Player, QuickTime, etc.).

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Hey y'all... making my bimonthly pop-in to DonationCoder... :)

I've been ripping a lot of music lately (I hate discs now) which has drove me to find new programs to play it all. I've tried most of the players mentioned (or their predecessors) and have a lil' something to say about them... I'll try to keep it short.

foobar2000 - This is probably the best player if you're willing to pretty much configure everything that is required to make a usable UI. If you want to take the time you can customize TONS and TONS of stuff about the player. The configuration process also involves downloading a bunch of .dll add-ons that usually consist of a single purpose "panel" (like a spectrum analyzer panel, album panel, or one to display the currently playing track). Configuring every single thing is a pain but what makes it worse is that the configuration dialogs for all the panels are not standardized... the method to open the configuration dialogs isn't even standardized. Also for me the customization interfaces (for both the standard UI and the "Columns UI" are very clunky and unintuitive.
Since I'd been ripping so many CDs, I needed a player that could read the "AccurateRipResult" tag generated by dbPoweramp. Foobar was the only player I tried that would read the tags from v13.1 of dbPoweramp ripper. I was also able to write a script that would not only display the AccurateRipResult tag, but would also truncate it and do a couple find and replace operations. Very cool!

J-River Media Center - I bought this a long time ago but hardly ever used it. But after doing all these rips I dusted it off and used it to get the album art for a LOT of my albums. It's got the best album searcher I've seen. I don't know if the free "Media Jukebox" has the same album art search, but it's worth a look if you're trying to get the art for a lot of albums. Other than that it seems very responsive and feature packed. It's got some similar custom column features as foobar2000, but I wasn't able to get it to display AccurateRipResult tags at all (I guess they're written as APE tags, which MC12 doesn't support in MP3s). The program also looks pretty darn good IMO.

Media Monkey - This has a lot of potential. It's definitely worth a try. For some reason ($ probably) they made the program insert a little link to Amazon next to the Artist/Album/Song Title of each song when you select it. I would expect to hit these accidentally constantly during normal use, driving me even more insane.

MusicIP - Just trying this out for the first time (I still have a lot of files left to analyze) seems cool so far! I wont say "I'm blown away by the playlists it's generated", but it does seem to do a pretty decent job. I hope it has a convenient way to rate songs somewhere...

Player Hatin'
WMP - I'm too biased against Microsoft programs to consider it for my default player, but the few times I've used it have been painless. Also, it's been indispensable a couple times (like when I wanted to copy files from my Zen Vision M based on their ratings.

iTunes - I'm WAY too biased against all things Apple to even install this unless it's absolutely necessary. I would not be surprised in the slightest if it's biggest asset (after being able to sync with iPhones and the iTunes web store) is it's brushed aluminum appearance.

Real Player - I'm glad they've stopped inventing superfluous media formats, but the bloatyness of the old versions of Real Player is preventing me from trying it.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2008, 02:56 PM »
J-River Media Center - I bought this a long time ago but hardly ever used it. But after doing all these rips I dusted it off and used it to get the album art for a LOT of my albums. It's got the best album searcher I've seen. I don't know if the free "Media Jukebox" has the same album art search, but it's worth a look if you're trying to get the art for a lot of albums. Other than that it seems very responsive and feature packed. It's got some similar custom column features as foobar2000, but I wasn't able to get it to display AccurateRipResult tags at all (I guess they're written as APE tags, which MC12 doesn't support in MP3s). The program also looks pretty darn good IMO.

Media Monkey - This has a lot of potential. It's definitely worth a try. For some reason ($ probably) they made the program insert a little link to Amazon next to the Artist/Album/Song Title of each song when you select it. I would expect to hit these accidentally constantly during normal use, driving me even more insane.

Re: J-River Media Center
A lot has been said about their behavior towards their customers or prospective customers and their support, in this and other forums. Arrogance and disrespect pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't use their software even if they paid me to do it.

Re:MediaMonkey
An excellent media player and an even better organizer. By the way, those annoying links to Amazon can easily be removed, as explained in this thread of their forum
I'll have what she's having

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good portable music organizer? (I'm a big fan of MediaMonkey, but it's not portable)

I put my whole library onto an external harddrive so that it can travel with me. And the MM installation on my own system has it all indexed in its database. But when I'm at another machine, I'd like to be able to search and browse the library quickly.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good portable music organizer? (I'm a big fan of MediaMonkey, but it's not portable)

I put my whole library onto an external harddrive so that it can travel with me. And the MM installation on my own system has it all indexed in its database. But when I'm at another machine, I'd like to be able to search and browse the library quickly.

I've been hoping for this for a long time! I finally broke down and purchased a Lifetime Gold license - though in this day and age, "lifetime" seems to have a completely different meaning than I was brought up to believe.

Portable version would be great, and a lot of users want this, but the deleveoper has never really sounded overly eager for it.

Jim

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2008, 12:39 PM »

Media Center has a "Portable Install" option during the installation process, but it's never worked for me. It always says "You can only do a portable install if you have a license on this machine" which always leaves me wondering "exactly how can I get a license on this machine if I cannot install your software?" ...I guess they want us to install it twice?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2008, 12:57 PM »
Media Center has a "Portable Install" option during the installation process, but it's never worked for me. It always says "You can only do a portable install if you have a license on this machine" which always leaves me wondering "exactly how can I get a license on this machine if I cannot install your software?" ...I guess they want us to install it twice?

That's what they usually want. Install once on machine with license. Then do portable install which will take/check the license from the installed version. Seems to be an approach to security, though some software is able to take the license on a single portable version.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:47 AM by Dormouse »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Winamp Rules  ;D  :D
WMP and other players are god, but i'm using winamp and i don't need more than what it offers me currently  :P

Music_Guy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • Man I love music
    • View Profile
    • Download Music
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Winamp all the way! I might be bias since I started using it years ago and listened to all my favorite music when I was younger. Never made a switch since, though Windows Media Player is also alright.
Compare Music Download Sites - Compare the top music download sites and find the right legal site to [url http://www.comparemusicdownloadsites.com]download music[/url] according to your downloading habits.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 02:13 PM »
... and Windows Media Player 11 are the most userfriendly players you can have, but as long as WMP won't handle the flashes...

And all this time I could just have installed FLV Splitter & FFDShow, and Windows Media Player would have played my flash videos without any problems. Who knew. I didn't:

Hi Curt

It's already possible to add FLV support to WMP now, by installing the following two packages:

FLV Splitter: http://www.free-code...h_Video_Splitter.htm
FFDShow: http://www.free-code...download/FFDshow.htm

Kind regards

I now have it installed and WMP is playing my flash files just fine. Though, for the time being I am mostly using The KMPlayer, http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/ , and I have just downloaded the brand new AIMP 3 BETA and am excited to test it; I was really pleased with version 2 :-)

http://aimp.ru/index.php - Russian is default:

2011-02-17_210205.gif

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I have been a media player whore switching from one program to the next over the past couple years.
my top music players are
1. Billy -  found billy a few months ago and  haven't looked back wish last.fm and tag editing was supported but other than that this is my favorite player.
2. Media Monkey Gold - it's a great  player and organizer but  it tends to bog down my system when I'm working or browsing.
3. Foobar - good program  but too much tweaking for  me. I spent more time  tweaking things than I did listening to the music.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38 PM »
I play only my music with WMP11. All video and DVDs are played with VLC Player. It lets me take snapshots from videos, place a Faster and Slower button to speed up or slow down videos, and I can stream any video from the Web and then save and convert it. Has a few buggies every now and then but overall VLC is rocking for me here!

Thanks!

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Ah! Necrothread!~ :)

Most programs I swap out after a while to find better ones, but I'm still using ALSong for music. (Currently flipping between VLC and ALPlayer for videos.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2011, 05:45 AM »
1. Billy -  found billy a few months ago and  haven't looked back wish last.fm and tag editing was supported but other than that this is my favorite player.

FWIW, Billy does have last.fm scrobbling support and I think it's a fantastic application.  That being said, and at the risk of a shameless plug, you may like the player I wrote called Trout.  One of the reasons I wrote it was because Billy didn't support tags as well as more audio formats.

Main page: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/pages/software/trout.php
Forum page: https://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=16157.0

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2011, 08:21 AM »
I forgot all about  trout. just realized the version I have on my portable hard drive is an older one. I'm gonna re-download and give it some play time