topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I Don't Want To Recode The Wheel  (Read 2644 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I Don't Want To Recode The Wheel
« on: April 13, 2007, 12:54 PM »
I have written a few batch files to do this at work. It is time for me to rewrite them into a more robust application or find a replacement solution because several departments at my work place have adopted these scripts as SOP. I doubt there exists a freeware program with a small footprint that does what I need quickly and with command-line options available.

The scripts...
* grab the latest SFV file with SHA1 hashes
* iterate through the files listed and copy them locally from a shared drive if they do not exist locally.
* if they exist locally, it computes the SHA1 hash of the local file. If they are different, it overwrites the local file with the network file.
* shows a results screen
* user re-executes script if any changes were made.
* if third time in a row scripts still show diffs, then they call for help.

This must be able to run from the command-line.

Yes this is easy to script up. That is why I already did this. However, not that it is being used as SOP it needs to be more than some quick scripts. I need to add versioning, insure the shared network files are correct, error handling, logging, etc. Everything that real world applications need in the corporate environment.

If I can't find anything that does 95%+ of what I need, I will be writing it and releasing it as freeware.

All of the file synchronization applications are too heavy and full of features I don't need. The files are only available on a SMB shared drive and I can't use anything else like a rsync server, etc.

I am almost certain that I will need to write this myself to get just what I want, but I figured I'd might as well throw this out there to see if anybody knows of such a tool or, more likely, how interested people are in getting such a utility built.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: I Don't Want To Recode The Wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Ugh, shared network files? Get ready for a lot of headache >_<

I don't know any apps that will do exactly what you want off top of my head, since you have more requirements than just copying... otherwise Microsoft's RoboCopy might have done the trick (seems to be pretty robust).

Shouldn't be a too bad coding task anyway, apart from the shared bit. If that means that the files on the SMB server might be in the process of being written while the client wants to transfer.
- carpe noctem

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I Don't Want To Recode The Wheel
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 05:45 PM »
I am in control of what goes in the shared folder and it will be readonly for everyone else. Now that I think about it, I should whip up a design doc and get so input from you folks.