topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2018  (Read 38202 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2018
« on: November 21, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Early Black Friday deal over at StackSocial:

Windscribe Pro VPN:
$12.00  1 Year
$24.00  3 Years
$59.00  Lifetime

Apply code BFSAVE40 at checkout for 40% off the above which brings them down to:

$7.20    1 Year
$14.40  3 Years
$35.40  Lifetime

They have dedicated Windflix servers, (for accessing US/UK Netflix), keep no logs, and allow P2P on almost all the exit gateways.

Disclaimer: I have a Windscribe Pro account from an earlier deal more than a year ago, they have been great.  Can't comment on their Windflix servers, (for accessing US/UK Netflix), since I don't use Netflix.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:46 PM by 4wd, Reason: Forgot the link »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 03:01 AM »
I guess it's that time of year again, twitter and mailboxes are starting to fill up with black friday/cyber monday deals, and we usually try to have an aggregate thread going. Here are a few to kick things off:

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 03:45 AM »
Macrium - 40% off Reflect 7 Home Edition, live

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Good stuff

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 11:01 AM »
VMware - Black Friday sale up to 35% off (including upgrades)... but:

Use coupon code BF2018 and get up to 45% off.  The coupon was supposed to expire on 11/19, but seems to still work today.  I'm not sure how much longer.

Also, the free VirtualBox is pretty darn good.  If your needs are met by that software, you can effectively get 100% off.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:45 AM »
pCloud is having a sale on lifetime storage.  They say 75%, but I think that's in comparison to the monthly cost.  It's really about 30% off normal lifetime costs.

$122.5 for 500GB or $245 for 2TB.  Comes with a similar amount of download traffic.  I've been happy with it.

https://partner.pcloud.com/r/8433 (referral link) or https://www.pcloud.com/black-friday (non-referral)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:26 PM »
AdGuard - 50% off, live

gusts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Air Explorer and Air Live Drive are with 50% discount. Bought me a second license of Air Explorer.

Special offer Black Friday until November 25th, 50% off for Air Live Drive and Air Explorer:

50% DISCOUNT for a Air Live Drive LIFETIME Pro license, If your are interested in a lifetime license you can get one now for only $9.5 (with a 50% discount) using this link:

https://sites.fastspring.com/airexplorer/instant/airlivedriveprolifetimelicense?coupon=BLACK18

Air Explorer 50% DISCOUNT now. If you are interested in a program to manage and synchronize all your files in multiple clouds (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.) you can try Air Explorer:
www.airexplorer.net
Discount link:

https://sites.fastspring.com/airexplorer/instant/airexplorerprolifetimelicense?coupon=BLACK18

If you want to unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

Regards,
Air Live Drive Team

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 05:45 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Inpaint Black Friday.jpgBlack Friday / Cyber Monday 2018

75% off on Inpaint and other utilities. See attached .pdf

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 11:00 PM »
SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE 25% off through Monday, Nov 26: https://www.2brights...m/store/cybermonday/

I've used SyncBackPro for a long time and like it a lot, but I think other backup utilities might be easier to use (and less flexible maybe).

A couple of things I don't use so can't comment on their value:

SpyShelter Firewall or Premium 35% off with code BF18 until Nov 27: https://www.spyshelter.com/

Cloudberry Backup for Desktop 50% off until Nov 28:

- CloudBerry Backup Desktop Edition BM (Windows?)
        - CloudBerry Backup for Mac
        - CloudBerry Backup for Linux

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 12:38 AM »
Ledger Nano S hardware crypto wallet is 50% off, (matte black only), with free shipping.

2018-11-23 17_36_46-Ledger Nano S _ Ledger - Vivaldi.pngBlack Friday / Cyber Monday 2018

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 02:56 AM »
XYplorer - 50% off lifetime license, live for another 20 hours or so

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Arq Backup - 50% off, live

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 09:05 AM »
mwb1100,

Could you confirm that SyncBack Pro (since you use it) does mandatorily follow folder symlinks even in its current version, or better even, tell that by option, it does NOT follow them, which for sync and backup purposes, would be the wished-for behavior.

Unfortunately, this functionality seems to be absent though, and from my knowledge (and my experience with it), Syncovery (which is not on offer but obviously worth its full price) is the only such (2-digits-priced) tool which offers both: NOT following file symlinks AND NOT following folder symlinks, i.e. treating both as-is.

(This "manual" page is brand-new: https://help.2bright...oints-reparse-points , and from there, they link to this: https://www.2brights...-symbolic-links.html which is just dated "copyright 2018", so I suppose this is current valid info there, and then it just treats file symlinks as-is, while at the end of the day, that's even more important for folder symlinks. See this discussion, but which is from 2015, so I'm asking for confirmation: https://www.2brights...iewtopic.php?t=11927 )

Frankly speaking, I advise against any synch tool which does not do it the way you'll need it, so for the time being, and up to better information (updates), no discount justifies buying a tool not being able to do it.

Junctions are NO replacement for relative folder symlinks; (especially folder) symlinks make NTFS three-dimensional. (I have hundreds of relative file and folder symlinks (and big hdd's, but there are ways to combine lesser ones into virtual, bigger drives).)

And yes, you can do it with a (home-grown) script (robocopy doesn't do it either EDIT: clarification: it CANNOT do it, as wished for, either, i.e. it just has a switch for "don't follow file symlinks", but not the respective switch for folder symlinks: just like I fear the BrightSparks product works), but then, why buy any synch tool to begin with? (You run your script or Syncovery as admin, in order to get the UAC dialog just once, up-front.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:29 AM by ital2 »

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Hint: Prominent google position (11th or 12th for "software friday (last 24 hours)" for minor, exotic software: good marketing, and for a mere 10$ from delusionary asking price (it's the competition, stupid!) of 40.

https://www.helpingw...-workbook-software/# . There: "I'm (...) a child of God. I'm the award-winning (...). I write historical and speculative fiction."

What, speculative fiction? I'm acquainted with speculative fiction writing, though, "writing on spec", but speculative fiction? I suppose that's science-fiction for women.

Also, DxO (or is it Dx0) minus a whopping 50 p.c., but then, the real question is, will they remain in biz, this time? I suppose that professional photographers who ain't into being buggered (thank you, Adobe, but no, thanks!), will use Capture One anyway.

EDIT: Photo Mechanic -30 bucks, but even then, it's around 120 plus VAT, and even that's quite overpriced for non-professionals like us, see the quite recent "c't" comparative review (in German, paid access in the web). Worst software in that review, Breeze Browser, but then, they've got the cutest little girl I've seen in any advert, she's as cute as Drew in E.T.: https://www.breezesy...ezeBrowser/index.htm - yeah, the good ol' times... (btw, I always mix that up with Close Encounters, should probably watch both again. And Notezilla 30%; for some here it's even a text processor, lol! (Powergrep, Regexbuddy nope, DO neither, but then, next version should be quite immediate anyway, and its processing of metadata isn't that good after all.)

And à propos little (?) girls: SolveigMM (stands in for Multimedia, not for Peer Gynt obviously) Video Splitter doesn't get any cheaper than today, -50%, warmly recommended (no discount for VideoReDo, 4 times the price). (Navicat -30 but then, they first raised their (dollar) prices so much that with the waning euro, their asking price has almost doubled since.)

Oh, and Vegas Movie Studio is not Vegas Pro: hands off! (But the latter's on sale, too.)
And they sell Dramatica Pro (Win-only), the ugliest program you'll see in your entire life, for the same price as the newer, Mac-only version, and that latter thing could tempt some. And, as others have found out before me, TB with their usual 10 p.c. off whopper of the year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:53 AM by ital2 »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Could you confirm that SyncBack Pro...

I'm no expert in symlinks and how backup software should (or should not) handle them.   I suggest you download the SyncBack trial and see if it works the way you're looking for.

disenchanted

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Pixxara has 80% off all of their software products.

link

Coupon Code: BLACKFRIDAY

Their products include:

Paint Studio, Tree Studio, Liquid Studio, Blob Studio, Luminance Studio, Pixel Studio and Selfie Studio

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 08:41 PM »
@Moderator: Probably best if you tack this thread onto the other.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 08:46 PM »
SlickVPN: Free unlimited VPN until Jan 2nd if you sign up now - only need an email address to sign up.

Couple of VPS deals from Hostodo:
(This is a recurring discount - $15/year for as long as you keep the VPS's)

Los Angeles and Miami OpenVZ VPS Black Friday Offer

Here is our third Black Friday offer! This is an OpenVZ offer located in Miami, FL and Los Angeles, CA.

Test IP / Looking Glass

LAVZ-1024

1024MB RAM
90GB Disk Space
3000GB Bandwidth (per month)
2 CPU Cores
1 IPV4
/64 IPV6
OpenVZ Virtualization with Virtualizor Control Panel
PROMOCODE: BLACKFRIDAY03

$14.99/yr - Los Angeles, CA
$14.99/yr - Miami, FL

• Down the left side, select OpenVZ VPS from either LA or MI,
  • Select either LAVZ-1024 from VPS plans for Los Angeles or MIAVZ-1024 from the VPS plans for Miami, (each are $5/month or $45/annually),
  • Fill in your details and when you go to checkout the promocode is automatically applied, see below:

2018-11-24 14_16_52-Shopping Cart - Hostodo - Vivaldi.pngBlack Friday / Cyber Monday 2018

Disclaimer: I have a couple of VPS' with Hostodo for the last 3 years, (including the MIAVZ-1024 offering), haven't had any problems, this was just an email they sent me from which I've removed any referral/click-tracking.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:43 PM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 10:35 PM »
@Moderator: Probably best if you tack this thread onto the other.

done.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 01:33 PM »
SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE 25% off through Monday, Nov 26: https://www.2brights...m/store/cybermonday/

I've used SyncBackPro for a long time and like it a lot, but I think other backup utilities might be easier to use (and less flexible maybe).

I use SyncBackFree to backup data in programs whose own backup utilities either aren't good enough or no longer function. Just hope they don't discontinue it.  Their other offerings always seemed overpriced.  Appreciate the heads-up anyway, though.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

disenchanted

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Techsmith, makers of Camtasia and Snagit are having a one day only, cybermonday sale.

No specific disclosures in their "sale notification email",  as to the sales pricing nor discount percentages.

link

They mentioned monitoring their social media pages for more details, as cyber monday approaches.

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 08:28 AM »
"I'm no expert in symlinks and how backup software should (or should not) handle them.   I suggest you download the SyncBack trial and see if it works the way you're looking for."

Being a satisfied (and fully-paying) user of Syncovery, I have no need to do this, but thank you anyway.

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 08:35 AM »
"Techsmith, makers of Camtasia and Snagit are having a one day only, cybermonday sale."

Snagit, beyond being overpriced (65 euro incl. 13 euro for ANY, even the most minor update, and within a year only), had been the slowest such programs when I trialed them some time ago, in fact, it was around 20 times or so slower than ANY other such program, of around 5 or so I trialed); my observation not applying to the current version, this might be different now, so comparative (!) experiences would be welcome!

As for Camtasia, did anybody trial Camtasia and ActivePresenter, and then bought Camtasia, and if, why?