topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • June 17, 2018, 07:15 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 13 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Print spooler missing after win 10 update. Saved by old freeware!  (Read 216 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
About the same time as the latest update from Microsoft was installed, I also installed Nitro 12 Pdf editor. So when I realized that I no longer was able to print to pdf, I could not be sure if the error was made by Microsoft or by Nitro. When searching for a solution, I stumbled upon the old freeware from techsupportall.com Print Spooler Repair Tool. I say old, because the text is only saying >for WindowsXP , Vista, windows 7, windows 8.<, but fact is it has been updated for Win 10 as well.

It is also saying >Please run this tool in Safemode mode<, but I ran it as it was, and everything went well.

https://www.techsupp...-service-is-missing/ > scroll down to Method 1 > Automatic Fix it > Download Print-Spooler-Repair-Tool.exe Freeware (2308 KB)
The page is very informative and includes a lot of relevant tips (Method2 > Manual Steps)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:54 PM by Curt »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting, but I find step 1 in method 2 quite troubling. In that granting full control to the everyone group on a system file (or any file for that matter) is a total no-no. Default permissions for spoolsv.exe only grant read and read & execute permissions to the System account...only the TrustedInstaller account has full control.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@SJ
I wrote them and half quoted you:

I am writing you because of an error in https://www.techsupp...-service-is-missing/ under >Method 2,  Step 1< where you tell the reader to >>Click on Permission Tab. > Click on Change Permission. > Click on Add Button > Type Everyone, then click on OK, and then check mark all the boxes of allow row,<<. This is very very wrong! It is not needed and certainly not wanted, for everyone to have permission to Write! Default permissions for spoolsv.exe only grant Read and Read+Execute permissions to the System account. Only the TrustedInstaller account should be allowed to have full control, not everyone! Solution: Uncheck >Write<

Time will tell their response.