topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Judge rules FBI can hack any time, any place, anywhere  (Read 2621 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Judge rules FBI can hack any time, any place, anywhere
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:04 PM »
A federal district court in Virginia has ruled that the FBI has the right to hack into computers around the world without getting a local warrant, and without any review by courts.

Does this Judge realize that he can't give the FBI the right to break the laws of other countries?   :huh:  The Judge in question might want to go read a few law books...though, I highly doubt this ruling could ever stand...

Read Full Story Here: http://theregister.c..._any_place_anywhere/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:43 PM by Deozaan, Reason: Removed mobile link and cleaned up messy subject line »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Judge rules FBI can hack hack any time, any, place, anywhere
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:45 PM »
Hmmm, the judge's name is Henry Morgan.  Which is funnier?  That it is the same name as the panelist on the TV show "I've got a secret" or that it is the same name as the pirate?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Judge rules FBI can hack any time, any place, anywhere
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04 AM »
I do not agree with this ruling at all, but I do believe the defining point is that this ruling is that it pertains to the FBI only. Their jurisdiction is strictly US-oriented & any investigations they have outside of borders of the United States are restricted to United States citizens only. In short, if the FBI is hacking any system outside of the U.S., it's because they are investigating a crime involving a U.S. citizen as a participant.

Having said that, hopefully this will be shot down & over-turned as this really seems like the same rules/restrictions of wiretapping should apply (warrants issued, justified probable cause, etc.).

I was just telling a friend yesterday that one of the biggest problems we face in the world today is that we have a group of people crafting laws, rules, and regulations about objects and technology that they do not adequately understand to make such decisions in an informed manner.