topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Notice on every shutdown? Norton WSC Integration may be culprit  (Read 6343 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was getting that stupid screen about some process still running and do I want to kill it, on every shutdown.

I happened to look in Task Scheduler for another reason and noticed this Norton WSC Integration task triggered to run on shutdown.  Bingo!  I deleted it and the shutdown screen is no more.

I saw some others posting that even if you uninstall Norton and use the Removal Tool, this vestige hangs on.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Notice on every shutdown? Norton WSC Integration may be culprit
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:00 AM »
I guess the obvious questions are what does WSC stand for? And what does this task supposedly do?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:23 AM »
I'm not sure if it refers to Windows Script Component, a COM thing.  Or Windows Security Console. It could be Norton looks for something on shutdown.  Perhaps preventing some malware from loading itself as a driver?  I'm just speculating.  The only thing I've done with Norton av type stuff is try to get it all off my PCs when booting up new machines.

It was really annoying though. It caused me to be asked if I wanted to shut down even though something was still running.  I think the only thing running was this integration crap.  But it always quit before I could read the message.  It didn't seem worth the effort of combing the log files.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:41 PM »
A new machine == A new reinstalling of Windows in my book. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:42 AM »
A new machine == A new reinstalling of Windows in my book. :)

Money solves a lot of problems.  Those who don't have it to spare have to spend time.  That;s how it goes.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Those who don't have it to spare have to spend time.

Agreed...but sometimes there's also the challenge just to see if you can fix it. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:01 AM »
Those who don't have it to spare have to spend time.

Agreed...but sometimes there's also the challenge just to see if you can fix it. :)

Yeah.  :)  In this particular case it was just an annoyance.  I mean it's not all that unusual to get that screen on Windows shutdown.  But it was happening almost every time.  Now and then a bit of luck helps.  I stumbled on the cause.  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Of course there is the conventional wisdom that if you're silly enough to install Norton on your computer you must be a glutton for punishment.  ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Of course there is the conventional wisdom that if you're silly enough to install Norton on your computer you must be a glutton for punishment.  ;D

Unfortunately when you Best Buy a tower/keyboard/mouse box it is part of the crapware bloat.  I think the last thing Norton I liked was The Peter Norton Assembly Language Book for the IBM PC

Back then there was no diskette in the book or download site to get the source code.  You had to type the stuff in and assemble it.  Thirteen files which, when assembled and linked, created a little diskette byte editor utility.  Not only that, when you walked home from school five miles with no shoes in the blizzard...   :)