topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Leonard Nimoy, Dead at 83  (Read 9357 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Leonard Nimoy, Dead at 83
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:04 PM »
I grew up on Star Trek, not in any way as a trailblazer of Sci-Fi on TV nor any of the stereotypes that it broke, but just as entertainment.

One constant, more than anything else during that time, was Mr Spock.  He was my favorite from the beginning- and the reason behind this was that Leonard Nimoy's performance embodied and defined the role.  No where is this more profoundly shown than in Star Trek II - the best of the best IMO.

Now, he's dead.

He leaves behind a great legacy.  And a great last tweet that shows, in some way, that great entertainers know how to make a great exit.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP

RIP, Leonard Nimoy.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Leonard Nimoy, Dead at 83
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Confession: At age 6, Mr. Spock was my first crush.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:14 PM »
He surely provided most of the depth on the show.  The struggle of man to master emotions without totally abandoning them.  Some other themes to be sure such as Viet Nam War analogies, absolute power corrupting etc..  But the Spock embodiment of the emotion vs reason struggle is timeless.  I guess that he was imposing physically helped him carry off the role.. the whole Vulcan strength bit etc..

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:59 PM »
"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Well said Jim.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:37 AM »
I think the role of spock had such a profound influence on many of us kids who grew up with the original star trek - a kind of alternative role model.  And there was never a moment's doubt about the authenticity of the performance by Nimoy -- he made it real.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:48 AM by mouser »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Right in the feels...

cFxiw4F.jpg

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:55 PM »
He was a man of many talents. He also opened an exotic pet shop in 1969 after his run on Star Trek. Its name? Leonard Nimoy's Pet Pad, of course!  ;D

http://www.rowsdowr....p-he-opened-in-1969/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 05:09 PM »
He was a man of many talents. He also opened an exotic pet shop in 1969 after his run on Star Trek. Its name? Leonard Nimoy's Pet Pad, of course!  ;D

http://www.rowsdowr....p-he-opened-in-1969/

It's weird what some famous people have to do to make a buck.  When I was in high school the Celtics Player John Havlicek was my role model.  8 rings and still Celtics all time leading scorer.  I'm told he had a real estate agency all along.  Former Patriots quarterback Steve Grogan has a sporing goods store.

I'm sure Nimoy got some big paydays from the movies though.  At least I hope so.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:14 PM »
While some have to do it, I think that many want to do it.  Or, their needs have inflated because of the money that they made in their prime, and now that they aren't, they trade on their heyday.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 05:28 PM »
While some have to do it, I think that many want to do it.  Or, their needs have inflated because of the money that they made in their prime, and now that they aren't, they trade on their heyday.

With the NBA schedule I doubt if Havlicek showed any houses personally.  Perhaps on very big deals in the off season.  But he did this while a Celtic.  I guess they didn't pay the non super stars much back then.  He played more minutes than anyone when he was on the roster but had to have a side job.  It just seems funny.  Now the top  players get paid even if they are injured and can't play.  Back in the Bill Russell era most games weren't sold out.  At some point I guess it became fashionable for companies to buy up seasons tickets.  A regular schmuck like me couldn't attend anymore.  :(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:54 AM »

Twiddling your thumbs gets boring after awhile.

Some people can't sit still and need to always be doing something (like me). And it's reasonable to assume that it's the same with entertainers & athletes. Those that try to do something constructive with their free time, like photography, running a pet store or real estate agency are far better off than those that get themselves in trouble by filling their free time with things like partying, drugs, or booze.

Besides, all professional athletes know they are just 1 major injury away from ending their career. Some (the smart ones) actually make a Plan B to fall back on, just in case. (What's Bo Jackson doing these days?)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 06:51 PM »
He was a man of many talents.
And a quirky sense of humor, as evidenced in his photography.

I heard him speak at the opening of the exhibition of "Secret Selves" at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in 2010.