ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Leonard Nimoy, Dead at 83

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
I grew up on Star Trek, not in any way as a trailblazer of Sci-Fi on TV nor any of the stereotypes that it broke, but just as entertainment.

One constant, more than anything else during that time, was Mr Spock.  He was my favorite from the beginning- and the reason behind this was that Leonard Nimoy's performance embodied and defined the role.  No where is this more profoundly shown than in Star Trek II - the best of the best IMO.

Now, he's dead.

He leaves behind a great legacy.  And a great last tweet that shows, in some way, that great entertainers know how to make a great exit.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP

--- End quote ---

RIP, Leonard Nimoy.

app103:
Confession: At age 6, Mr. Spock was my first crush.

MilesAhead:
He surely provided most of the depth on the show.  The struggle of man to master emotions without totally abandoning them.  Some other themes to be sure such as Viet Nam War analogies, absolute power corrupting etc..  But the Spock embodiment of the emotion vs reason struggle is timeless.  I guess that he was imposing physically helped him carry off the role.. the whole Vulcan strength bit etc..

x16wda:
"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Well said Jim.

mouser:
I think the role of spock had such a profound influence on many of us kids who grew up with the original star trek - a kind of alternative role model.  And there was never a moment's doubt about the authenticity of the performance by Nimoy -- he made it real.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version