topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bing Delivers 5X As Many Malicious Websites As Google  (Read 6163 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bing Delivers 5X As Many Malicious Websites As Google
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:01 AM »
bing.png

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security/310268-bing-delivers-five-times-as-many-malicious-websites-as-google

Searches on Bing returned five times more links to malicious websites than Google searches, according to an 18-month study from German independent testing lab AV-Test. Though search engines have worked to suppress malicious results, the study concluded that malware infested websites still appear in their top results.

The study looked at nearly 40 million websites provided by seven different search engines...

Doing some quick arithmetic, it looks like the chance of a Googler hitting malware is about one in 40,118.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bing Delivers 5X As Many Malicious Websites As Google
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:29 PM »

So the lesson here is, don't use Bing and don't use GoOgle.  I have software and secure DNS servers that has prevented me from going to infected websites on several occasions, and I'm talking about some well known websites.  Once I was blocked from going to an infected page on PcWorld, and a few days later PcWorld announced that some of their pages were hacked with malware.  Nowwhodathunkit?   ;D

As far as search engines, DuckDuckGo, Blekko, BlackBoxSearch and DogPile are some good ones that don't track you.   8)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:18 AM »
  As far as search engines, DuckDuckGo, Blekko, BlackBoxSearch and DogPile are some good ones that don't track you.   8)

Nice list. I have been using Startpage but I'm not so thrilled with their results. I'll have to try a couple of those.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:13 PM »

Nice list. I have been using Startpage but I'm not so thrilled with their results. I'll have to try a couple of those.

I normally use DuckDuckGo.  It's fast and has absolutely NO ADS!  Blekko is really good too, and only has ONE AD, and it's at the bottom of the page.  lol

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:29 AM »
I used to use DuckDuckGo, but I found that it didn't find a surprising number of relevent sites that Bing and Google found.  I switched to Bing, but I often have to use Google, since it finds a lot of stuff that I'm looking for that I don't find on Bing.  I wish I could be more specific, but I no longer recall the details.  However, it happened often enough so that I now use Google a lot more.   :(

KRSMAV

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12 AM »
tinman57 -

BlackBoxSearch.com is a maker of optical fiber test equipment.  BlackBoxSearch.org and BlackBoxSearch.net go to an employment site.  Do you have a URL for the BlackBoxSearch service?

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50 AM »
I like the arguments you can pass into DuckDuckGo with your search term, i.e., "Mark Zuckerberg !g" to search first on Google, or "Dungeons & Dragons !w" to search about AD&D on Wikipedia.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:33 PM »
tinman57 -

BlackBoxSearch.com is a maker of optical fiber test equipment.  BlackBoxSearch.org and BlackBoxSearch.net go to an employment site.  Do you have a URL for the BlackBoxSearch service?

I'll be darned, looks like they done got eaten up by GoOgle, since that's the only link provided for a search.  Either way, I'm deleting that from my bookmarks.   :-[

At least http://search.yacy.net/, http://www.dogpile.com/ and http://www.yebol.com/ are still doing their thing.  Another good one is http://www.wolframalpha.com/ , a Computational Knowledge Engine.  Click on the "Examples" link and see the immense Knowledge Base for making specific searches.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I couldn't get yebol to come up. Mamma is still there, though...

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Bing Delivers 5X As Many Malicious Websites As Google

Maybe cause Microsoft don't really take care of the results like Google do (Google probably only do so because of "peer pressure"

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 04:49 PM »
I couldn't get yebol to come up. Mamma is still there, though...

Yebol was just working the other day, right now it's having some kind of Failure to Connect to Web Server problem.  I wonder if GoOgle bought them out as well....

Never heard of Mamma.com before, but I've got her it bookmarked now.   :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Instead of telling people at work to Google such-and-such, I like to tell them to Momma-it. I get all kinds of strange looks. Some of them seem to say, I'm sure he means something sexual by that, but I'm not sure what. I'm sure not gonna ask and make myself look stupid. But I'll get the sideways grins, and sometimes someone elbows another worker and winks, "Momma-it, get it?"

*sigh*