topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted  (Read 140835 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 3.20 Beta Test - Mar 3, 2013 - Feedback Wanted
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2013, 01:27 PM »
New version uploaded should fix the directory problem.  Can't thank you folks enough for finding these bugs!

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2013, 04:01 PM »
bubba, regarding #1 not saving between reboots -- i stand corrected!  i just found and corrected a long-standing bug preventing settings saving on reboot.  thank you for your comment about this.

Thanks for correcting the issue with the saved object settings across reboot. I will download the latest version and see if it's working for me. Can you confirm that the fix includes the SCC portable *.zip version?

Regarding your suggestion to use %num0% to generate the incremental number counter e.g. '001' regardless of whether there is a conflicting filename did indeed work for me. I would have had no idea that this was an option since it was not included in the Available Fields in Preferences.

Regarding navigation of the Preferences hierarchy, let me know if you can address it and I'll do some testing.

Finally, one quick question, is there a way to add multiple picture objects to the screenshot (e.g. highlight, arrow, or text box) without having to select the object button each time an object is added? Almost like a sticky approach that if you double click the object button it would remain selected even after adding the object. This would help improve the efficiency of adding multiple objects to the same screenshot.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Can you confirm that the fix includes the SCC portable *.zip version?
yes, i always upload new versions of both.

Regarding your suggestion to use %num0% to generate the incremental number counter e.g. '001' regardless of whether there is a conflicting filename did indeed work for me. I would have had no idea that this was an option since it was not included in the Available Fields in Preferences.

I need to undo that advice -- I realized that i didn't mean to change existing behavior.

You should go back to using %num% whenever you want to ALWAYS include a number.

Alternatively you can use %_num% and %bnum% when you only want to include a number if its needed to avoid a conflict.
I have added these to list of tokens and will document in help file.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:10 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Finally, one quick question, is there a way to add multiple picture objects to the screenshot (e.g. highlight, arrow, or text box) without having to select the object button each time an object is added?

Yes, you can change the default behavior by going to the "Drawing Object Options" tab and UNCHECKING the optin "Switch to Object Selection mode after a new object is inserted".

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Ok I think it's nearly time to release this to public -- last chance to save me some embarrassment by finding some showstopper bugs.

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Not a showstopper...but the custom date field popup is difficult to read with the field codes running into the descriptions:
custom_date_fields.JPGScreenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted

...I really like how this is coming along!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2013, 03:06 AM »
I have uploaded a 25 minute rambling video tour of some of the new features in the new version 3.20 (March 3, 2013) , for those who might be interested.

032113_0008.png

https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc26/sc26.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:09 AM by mouser »

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Ok I think it's nearly time to release this to public -- last chance to save me some embarrassment by finding some showstopper bugs.

Not sure if this is a bug or been covered before.
Running 3.21.01 in portable mode, Win 7.

I captured a screen, use the prompt me pop-up, and the [...] caption button to add a 3 line caption. I then clicked save and show. Here's what is displayed. Used snipping tool because I forgot if or how I could take a shot of SSC with SSC. Only 2 lines are shown and it looks like there is an extra line between each.

SSC Caption Test a.PNGScreenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40 AM »
bob,

i'm having trouble reproducing that problem and i really would like to identify it and fix it.
can you experiment some more and see what you can figure out about what might trigger the problem and the conditions that cause it and any clues you might be able to find? maybe try using the caption button within the program to see if that has the same effect?

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I downloaded last night's, or should I say really early this morning's build. Wow, 3:20am this morning, how do you do it?  A couple of things I noticed:

1) Saving object settings across reboots seems to be working for me now in the *.zip portable version. Thanks for killing that one, it was a pain to have to reset them each morning to my preferred values.
2) I was going to report the %num0% not working to always force an incremental number until I went back and read your comments about changing it. I changed back to using %num% and it works fine. What do the %_num% and %bnum% options do?
3) I didn't know about the "Switch to Object Selection Mode...". I unchecked and now I can add multiple highlight boxes at once. I did notice one thing that seems inconsistent with what I expected. If I uncheck "Switch to Object Selection Mode.." but leave "Highlight Current Selection..." checked I expected that after selecting and drawing the first highlight box (drawing selection, then selecting Highlight Mode) that I would stay in highlight mode to add subsequent highlights. That's not the case, it switches to Object Selection Mode. If I first go to Highlight Mode, then it stays in that mode. Not sure if you consider that a bug or not.
4) I don't know if I noticed this one before or not, but the filenames in my thumbnail panel are getting clipped off and not showing the full file name (see attached). My current filename convention is "Screenshot - YYYY_MMDD XXX.png" where XXX is the incremental number for the day.

Screenshot - 2013_0307 005.pngScreenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56 AM »
What do the %_num% and %bnum% options do?

%_num% will add _002 and so on, but ONLY if needed.  So your first file will be called "myscreenshot.png" and your second will be "myscreenshot_002.png" and the next "myscreenshot_003.png", etc.

%bnum% is identical but without the "_" character.

4) I don't know if I noticed this one before or not, but the filenames in my thumbnail panel are getting clipped off
thanks for letting me know -- i've been trying to tweak that thumbnail panel to get it to not waste so much whitespace.. looks like i have to tweak some more.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56 PM »
bob,

i'm having trouble reproducing that problem and i really would like to identify it and fix it.
can you experiment some more and see what you can figure out about what might trigger the problem and the conditions that cause it and any clues you might be able to find? maybe try using the caption button within the program to see if that has the same effect?

I tried 3 quick re-tests before posting.
1.) Did a capture, at the prompt selected save image and show. Used objects > add caption to image and typed "line 1 \nline 2 \nline 3" (without the quotes). Clicked ok and everything displays fine.

2.) Did a capture, at the prompt typed "line 1 \nline 2 \nline 3" (without the quotes) in the small add caption line. Then save image and show.
The main SSC window comes up and the caption displays the same as the screen in my previous post. Except the verbiage.

3) Did a capture, at the prompt pressed the [...] caption button. Typed:
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3 (did not press enter/a carriage return after the 3)

Pressed ok then save image and show. The main SSC window comes up and the caption displays the same as the screen in my previous post. Except the verbiage.

Adding a caption via the main SSC window seems to work fine. It is adding the caption via the pop-up prompt window that the problem shows up. For me at least.

Again, I'm running a portable version at the moment to do me tests. I can load the exe and give that a try if you think it may make a difference. It will be this evening though before I can do it. And can take some screen shots or possibly a video. Can your video capture record SSC ok?
Not being a smart a$$. Just don't know. Never had a need to use a video capture program till now.  :huh:

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. You didn't mention #3 of mine above. Is that a bug or expected behavior?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47 PM »
im still chewing it over.

try downloading new version -- see what you think of thumbnail captions now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2013, 03:40 PM »
By the way, there's a new option to help you visualize background transparency under "More Interface Options" -- choose Chessboard for background style.  This will only help you when you have transparent areas on your screenshot (for example transparent captions at bottom, etc.).

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2013, 05:54 PM »
A couple more little things I noticed this afternoon:

1) Quick Capture Bar - When docked and hidden, mousing to the top shows the bar, left clicking on drop downs show the lists, but
--a) the bar can disappear before anything in the drop down is selected. It should continue to show until something in the list is selected or the user mouse clicks somewhere off the bar
--b) if nothing from the list is selected, and the cursor is moved away from bar, you end up with the drop down list still displayed with the bar hidden. Even mouse clicking ot activate other windows does not remove the drop down list. The only way to remove/hide the list again is to click on a selection in the list.
2) Quick Capture Bar - Can't seem to grab and move the bar when left mouse clicking on and around the word "Then" in the bar
3) The keystroke shortcuts are listed in the program menus. The way they are listed is not consistent. Most of the time the keystroke command is right justified in the menu, but there are many places where they are listed next to the menu item text (e.g. the Edit menu, Select All Ctrl+A, Copy Ctrl+C, Paste Ctrl+V, etc.). It would be better visually if they were all right justified in the same spot.
4) The keystroke listed to "Unselect" in the Edit menu shows Ctrl+D, but Ctrl+U in the popup box for icon in the icon bar. Also, the Edit menu says "Unselect" and the popup says "Unselect All"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 3.23 Beta Test - Mar 8, 2013 - Feedback Wanted
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31 AM »
v3.23 is now up.

I spent an entire day fixing the graphics library code that handles drawing objects with partial transparency in order to speed up the rendering/saving of files where objects are on top of semi-transparent areas.  Painful but I think I have it working well and fast enough.  I never realized this was a problem until we started playing with captions over a transparent area..

Note that for most users this is a moot issue since most of the time you don't want a transparent background, you want a white canvas background, etc.

This is really the home stretch for this beta version and I can't wait to release it publicly as a non-beta.  So much old code got restructured with this version, which caused lots of little things to stop working.  I really appreciate all the testing and bug reports -- please keep them coming.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2013, 05:38 AM »
Wow, you re-added the 'Run ScreenShotCaptor' option to the installer :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40 AM »
bubbajunk,

Thanks for the reports.
#1-3: i know about and am going to try to fix in future versions since they are not showstoppers.
#4: thanks, should be fixed now.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55 AM »
v3.23 is now up.

Getting a 404 on that, here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2013, 08:05 AM »
should be fixed now.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Tested v3.23 for the bug I noticed.
It's fixed for adding multiple line captions in pop-up prompt window. I tested it in the single line box using \n and using the [...] pop-up window.

Checking further though, I found something that breaks it again.
When you enable "Add caption to image" under Post-Capture Options in main configuration and also add a caption via the pop-up prompt.
The information from both caption entries is there in the main screen but only after you manually re-size the caption box by dragging up (to enlarge the caption box) & moving the box down. The caption added via the pop-up prompt is double spaced again, the caption from the post-capture options is normal single spaced.

I tested this 6-7 different times with the post-capture add caption option on & off and it is repeatable on my system.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Under the post capture options, checking 'add caption to image' will add a particular caption.
Example, taking a shot of this forum thread, this is the caption-

firefox
3/8/2013 , 11:54:28 AM
Screenshot Captor 3.23 Beta Test - Mar 8, 2013 - Feedback Wanted - DonationCoder.com - Mozilla Firefox

Adding to that via the post capture dialog will put the new info above the text I quoted.

I don't know why you would do both, but you can.
I still can't reproduce your results.
Is something on your system set to double space text?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 11:39 AM »
I found the setting that makes for double spacing as you are seeing, bob.

After a shot as you describe, open it with SC as normal.
Select the object select arrow, that is an arrow with a circle icon on the right of SC's window.
In Blend Mode, select Normal, Multiply will give the double spacing as you describe.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49 AM »
that may not be correct, now mine is doing what yours is, when using both caption options
backspacing the blank lines fixes it