topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: N.A.N.Y. 2013 Idea  (Read 3405 times)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
N.A.N.Y. 2013 Idea
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:57 AM »
So I'm lacking the time to do the project I was hoping to work on for NANY 2013 (good thing I didn't pledge), but I have some half-finished scripts lying around that may be NANY worthy-ish if I can figure out packaging, library licenses and the sort. But I've got no clue if anyone has a use for it, hence this post here.

Do you video-edit using Sony Vegas but end up with source material it cannot read because it happens to have the form of a MKV container? Does the situation tend to end up in you finding a 'video converting tool' that transcodes and basically behaves like a lengthy full render cycle (= 'a lossy to lossier copy' with all the loss of detail that may have happened as a result)? Would you prefer to work directly off of the original material without any loss in image or sound quality?

Simply put, I am a detail-oriented ass, and if I can at all avoid re-encoding, I will avoid said re-encoding: that is how this script came to be. What my script does is basically use opensource tools to remux the file you give it to process into a more manageable format, which is basically like pouring the contents of a coffee mug into a tea cup. The end result is the same drink, except now you fit in with the local tea addicts. :)

• The script will never transcode; transcoding isn't only messy business but it is difficult too. There's better tools for that than what I can create, and if you want to seriously video edit hopefully quality is your number 1 concern. So it works, or it fails.
  • It only deals with one video stream and one audio stream at present. If necessary, I can look into viability of transferring all audio streams over; I simply haven't needed that functionality.
  • Soft subtitles (ones that are not a part of the video itself) are not remuxed; I ran into some problems with this and didn't need it anyway.
  • If at all possible, the script outputs a MP4 container. In some cases though, this is not possible, and it outputs an AVI instead.
  • There's a good chance your files may be remuxable, but my script fails at it. There's a lot of nuances to video material, and I only made it work with the stuff I've come across thus far. If I end up releasing this, I'll do my best to try and support the remuxing of other formats as well.

I don't think there'll be any interest in this, but just in the off case there is... let me know. :)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
N.A.N.Y. 2013 Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:14 AM »
nice