Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 18, 2014, 08:28:18 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone actually care about WinRT?  (Read 1487 times)
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »

Josh Smith has an article about this topic on his blog.  A pretty big deal as Josh Smith is decently heavyweight in the (Windows) developer world.

This bit is pretty telling:
Even firmly entrenched Microsoft developers, such as many of us in the XAML Disciples (formerly known as the WPF Disciples), have expressed a lack of interest in learning WinRT. See this Disciples thread which veered away from its original topic (an announcement of some WinRT feature) into a series of thought-provoking explanations of why people are not bothering to get into WinRT. The general consensus on that thread is that if you lack confidence in the prospects of Windows 8 and, by extension WinRT, why bother learning it? Why not spend your time and energy learning more successful and in-demand technologies, whose futures look bright and promising?

I am not saying that Windows 8 will fail spectacularly, nor am I saying it won’t. All that I can say with certainty is that the .NET developer community is decidedly not flocking to it, and that should be very concerning for Microsoft.

I know now that I'm back in the Microsoft camp, that the ignominious death of Silverlight has made me not be on the front lines in regards to WinRT.  I see several similarities between the two platforms, and my confidence in it was dead on arrival.

How are other developers feeling about WinRT?

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »

WinWhaT?

Not in the least bit interested.

MS drops the ball on just about everything. Why invest in another flop?

Silverlight was a brilliant product, but they f**ked up so horribly badly... Like epic F-Up there. You would have to exert herculean efforts to attempt to f-up worse.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »

Assuming that was actually a question...  Wink

WinRT is the new version of .NET that is underlying this whole metro fiasco.

A couple of reading links for the interested:

WinRT on Wikipediaw

WinRT for coding for Windows 8? Is .NET really such rubbish (via the Guardian)

What Is WinRT, and Is Silverlight Dead? (via ReadWriteHack)

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »

I'd never even heard of WinRT until this topic. But I guess I'm not really a Windows software developer, either.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.027s | Server load: 0.04 ]