ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Does anyone actually care about WinRT?

(1/1)

wraith808:
Josh Smith has an article about this topic on his blog.  A pretty big deal as Josh Smith is decently heavyweight in the (Windows) developer world.

This bit is pretty telling:
Even firmly entrenched Microsoft developers, such as many of us in the XAML Disciples (formerly known as the WPF Disciples), have expressed a lack of interest in learning WinRT. See this Disciples thread which veered away from its original topic (an announcement of some WinRT feature) into a series of thought-provoking explanations of why people are not bothering to get into WinRT. The general consensus on that thread is that if you lack confidence in the prospects of Windows 8 and, by extension WinRT, why bother learning it? Why not spend your time and energy learning more successful and in-demand technologies, whose futures look bright and promising?

I am not saying that Windows 8 will fail spectacularly, nor am I saying it won’t. All that I can say with certainty is that the .NET developer community is decidedly not flocking to it, and that should be very concerning for Microsoft.

--- End quote ---

I know now that I'm back in the Microsoft camp, that the ignominious death of Silverlight has made me not be on the front lines in regards to WinRT.  I see several similarities between the two platforms, and my confidence in it was dead on arrival.

How are other developers feeling about WinRT?

Renegade:
WinWhaT?

Not in the least bit interested.

MS drops the ball on just about everything. Why invest in another flop?

Silverlight was a brilliant product, but they f**ked up so horribly badly... Like epic F-Up there. You would have to exert herculean efforts to attempt to f-up worse.

wraith808:
Assuming that was actually a question...  ;)

WinRT is the new version of .NET that is underlying this whole metro fiasco.

A couple of reading links for the interested:

WinRT on Wikipediaw

WinRT for coding for Windows 8? Is .NET really such rubbish (via the Guardian)

What Is WinRT, and Is Silverlight Dead? (via ReadWriteHack)

Deozaan:
I'd never even heard of WinRT until this topic. But I guess I'm not really a Windows software developer, either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version