Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 02:24:28 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: how to kill / restart Google Chrome?  (Read 5287 times)
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »

Hi,

I really like Google Chrome, the only thing I couldn't figure out is how to quickly kill* / restart it... since it uses lots of processes (to prevent itself from going down completely when a tab freezes) I can't just kill one process like I could with Firefox.

Any ideas?

*to free up some needed memory

Thank you.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »

Maybe you can talk f0dder into writing a "Trim-ChromeOnly-Memory"?
It would by far be the fastest way to free some memory.
If not, you can use his TrimAll:

---
(...) If you need free RAM, don't overlook the brand new trimall by f0dder

Here you go smiley  "trimall.exe" automatically trims all processes, has no GUI or status indication or whatever (thus the small size). It still won't trim system processes, and on a multi-user system it will probably only trim other people's processes if you have an administrative user account.

Direct link: http://www.donationcoder....topic=2794.0;attach=17116

It will free up a lot of memory in less than 2 seconds!
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

Keep in mind that trimming is a pretty silly thing, since it does nothing that Windows itself won't do when it's finally necessary to do so - unused RAM is wasted RAM, and premature working-set trimming will most likely just put stuff in your pagefile unnecessarily.

As for killing chrome, perhaps SysInternals' "pskill" utility, which can kill processes from the commandline based on partial process name?

- carpe noctem
bgd77
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »

You can use Process Explorer, also from SysInternals, instead of Task Manager. In Process Explorer, Chrome has a "parent" process and each opened tab appears as a "child" process of this "parent" process. You can completely kill Chrome by killing the "parent" process. There is also an option, "Kill the Process Tree", but it seems it is not necessary in this case.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:41:55 AM »

You can use Process Explorer, also from SysInternals, instead of Task Manager. In Process Explorer, Chrome has a "parent" process and each opened tab appears as a "child" process of this "parent" process. You can completely kill Chrome by killing the "parent" process. There is also an option, "Kill the Process Tree", but it seems it is not necessary in this case.
Hm, that must be the Chrome child processes doing some "uh oh my parent is dead" checking, then - child processes normally aren't killed by terminating the parent.

- carpe noctem
bgd77
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:33 AM »

Or the parent process is saying to the child processes: "I made you, I kill you".

Anyhow, the "Kill the Process Tree" option would be an alternative if this would not work.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:01 AM »

Or the parent process is saying to the child processes: "I made you, I kill you".
Doesn't get a chance to do that if you kill it from taskmgr/procexp, since it gets forcefully shut down with TerminateProcess() smiley

- carpe noctem
bgd77
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:43:52 AM »

Ok, I'm no expert in this, so your explanation is the right one. Does this mean that the child processes are created in a special way? Or maybe the child processes know who their parent is and constantly interrogate it in order to see if it is still working?

Returning to the original question, maybe brotherS could tell us if he has found what he is looking for in the posts above. smiley
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 05:04:24 AM »

Thanks guys! I used the Process Explorer ages ago, sounds like that could work.

Before I test it (and lose some or all of my opened tabs - I'm using Chrome's "open all last opened pages again on program start" feature), would anyone be so kind and test it for me?  smiley

Thank you.
Paul Keith

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »

@brotherS,

Well, I'm not knowledgeable with any kind of testing but you could just use Iron Portable or Chromium Portable and you should be able to have a replica Google Chrome without it touching your actual Google Chrome files.

<reserve space for the day DC can auto-generate your signature from your personal PopUp Wisdom quotes>
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »

You can also use Mouser's Process Tamer to kill processes quickly.

bgd77
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 12:39:55 AM »

Before I test it (and lose some or all of my opened tabs - I'm using Chrome's "open all last opened pages again on program start" feature), would anyone be so kind and test it for me?  smiley

I tested it and it works. The last tabs that were opened are restored. When I open Chrome, it detects that it was not shut down properly, and gives you the option to open the browser with those tabs. I'm using version 3.0.195.25
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

I tested it and it works. The last tabs that were opened are restored. When I open Chrome, it detects that it was not shut down properly, and gives you the option to open the browser with those tabs. I'm using version 3.0.195.25
This is the solution! Works nicely!

Thanks for your help!

Thank you.
bgd77
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »

You're welcome.  smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.466s | Server load: 0.08 ]