topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: TrueCrypt Alternate GUI for Windows  (Read 9235 times)

AaronCompNetSys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: TrueCrypt Alternate GUI for Windows
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:29 PM »
I am pushing for using TrueCrypt in a specific way on company laptops, which involves prompting users to mount a volume directly after Windows logon.  The stock TrueCrypt UI is perfectly functional, but not as fast and friendly as you might expect an app that you use each day.

What I am looking for is a replacement app that allows users to use keyboard and mouse to enter the required password and keyfile as fast as possible.

The solution I recommend is a small popup GUI window with a password box and a tree structure below it that allows clicking to browse to a key file.  The back end will simply run the truecrypt.exe command with parameters as it already exists.

The design I would like one that looks similar to Quicksilver with a box type and big icons to click to browse for key files.  I can help with mockups and bitmaps that will go in the completed UI.

The logic behind key file selection would be to use what TrueCrypt already choose, with the "Windows Places Bar" being the default 4 items to click in the normal Windows file selection dialog.  This should pull from the registry to populate the items.  When an item is clicked, it is replaced with 4+ of its child items, with keyboard navigation acceleration enabled, press "k" to jump to the first 4+ "k" items.  Scroll is mouse wheel accelerated or mouseover accelerated.

The physical idea of input is as follows: 1. Two hand text entry password 2. Right hand mouse and left hand text nav and submit.  Pure keyboard only key selection is of course optional, but not part of my interests.

Ransom, I'm not up to speed on how you guys complete requests, but I'm cool with paying.

Here is what I want to never have to click on again :)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/AaronCompNetSys/untitled-29.png

chedabob

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • C# Master (if only!!!)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: TrueCrypt Alternate GUI for Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Do you have a GUI mockup?

AaronCompNetSys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45 AM »
How about this?  I whipped it up real quick.  The box with gradient and shadow is just a grab of the Launchy Quicksilver2 skin by Juan Ignacio Serra.  I wouldn't be surprised if it can be used if needed, but Windows native is fine. The arrow is one of the Crystal icons, so its already free.  Attached the Gimp file too.

Click the TrueCrypt icon for options and to see the default volume that it is currently mounting.  Default volume is pulled preferably from a custom setting screen just for this UI that is linked to the TrueCrypt registry entry.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/AaronCompNetSys/TrueCryptAlternateUIMockup1.png

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/AaronCompNetSys/TrueCryptAlternateUIMockup2.png
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:49 AM by AaronCompNetSys »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:35 AM »
I could give this a go but the GUI won't be bitmap-based like your example above.  Would that be acceptable?

AaronCompNetSys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Yes, Windows native would be just fine.  Even loading the icons are optional, except a folder vs. file icon would be needed.

AaronCompNetSys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Bump.  I'm at a new place and would still love to be able to push for TrueCrypt with a GUI.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:06 PM »
I am pushing for using TrueCrypt in a specific way on company laptops, which involves prompting users to mount a volume directly after Windows logon.  The stock TrueCrypt UI is perfectly functional, but not as fast and friendly as you might expect an app that you use each day.

What I am looking for is a replacement app that allows users to use keyboard and mouse to enter the required password and keyfile as fast as possible.
-AaronCompNetSys (February 24, 2010, 03:29 PM)

I don't use a keyfile with TC volumes, but it seems to me that the fastest way is

(1) hit Enter on a *.tc file in a file manager;
(2) hit Enter again (in TC now) to mount the volume;
(3) type the password and hit Enter once more.

A shortcut to the TC file could be added to the Startup menu so that it pops up automatically, thus eliminating step (1).

On the other hand, once you have to use the mouse, it won't be the fastest possible method anymore :)

AaronCompNetSys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Yeah, the keyfile is the defining feature here.  It drastically increases security and make a key logger useless when the user clicks on the file instead of typing it.  It also makes brute forcing the typed password irrelevant.  I recommend picking a random file off the hard drive, or a random file the user has created sometime in their lifetime.