because the release of VueScan9 will most likely be accompanied by a price increase, I just wanted to quickly give you a heads up that Ed Hamrick is in the final stages of beta testing the new version 9 of VueScan.
VueScan 9 is now compiled with Microsoft C and is a major rewrite.
- Faster and more responsive user interface,
- Twain support (i.e. you can use VueScan to directly import into f.e. MS Word, IrfanView, FastStoneImage Viewer, your favorite OCR etc.),
- Native 64 bit binaries for Windows, MacOS, and Linux, so that now the full scanner feature sets are supported under 64 bit OS
- Works better with scans over 3GB
- PhotoShop Import filters (32 and 64 bit) for PS and PSE together with better memory management
- Universal Binary on MacOSX
The final version is expected to be out beginning of the coming week and Ed dropped hints that it will probably also become more expensive at that time.
So if you were thinking of buying or gifting VueScan, you may want to grab it now before the expected increase. Ed never gives discounts, so there is no need to wait for a "deal".
The standard version is good for document scans and the occasional color scan, but for serious color work, the professional version is probably best, which also comes with unlimited upgrades (vs. 1 yr for standard).
Here is a more in depth review of VueScan:http://www.donationc...ex.php?topic=23658.0