topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Synchronise Files in multiple (more than 2) directories  (Read 3416 times)

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
Basically what the title says. Something to synchronise files between more than two directories. Everywhere I've looked so far I've only been able to find things that support two directories.

The (my current) situation: 3 directories, 1 file in each directory (all I care to manually sync at the moment), only one file in use at a time (but an error checking prompt if there's more than 2 versions would make sense, even if it simply meant the user had to fix their own mess).
Although only one file should be updated at a time, all three files are used and updated independently (which means 3 batch files minimum or 2-4 sync tasks in a "regular" sync program, both very clumsy ways to do things).

I've spent quite a bit of time (approx two hours) looking through SourceForge and other sites before heading here. Yeah, I skipped google but it's nearly midnight and I'm tired.

I'm simply after a program that can synchronise files in more than two directories. I don't care how it does the synchronisation, how long it takes or if it's real time or has to be put into Windows Task Scheduler..
I've considered a set of batch files or using multiple sync tasks in a regular program but ultimately... I've ended up here. If someone else can benefit from my small problem then that'd be awesome.

Even if all I get is someone directing me to a commercial program that does this, I'd be interested.
Seeding post for future forum seaches, I'm sure this issue will come up for someone else eventually: Synchronise Synchonize Synchronisation Synchronization

Admittedly, I'll probably attempt an hour or two of google searching tomorrow when I get a free moment but for now I'm just not capable.

Gonna pass out now and check this a heap of hours later......

~Orstrin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:58 AM by Ordstrin »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Synchronise Files in multiple (more than 2) directories
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:50 AM »
You might take a look at Syncless, an open source program that uses a slightly ;) different paradigm.  Multiple directories are not a problem, although live updates may be.

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Synchronise Files in multiple (more than 2) directories
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58 PM »
I didn't even get to do my google search yet! That program looks awesome barney, I've just had a quick play with it and it does (with a tiny bit of customising) exactly what I need.
The steps I followed were:
1) Download, install & run the program (duh)
2) Add the 3 folders to a tag
3) Edit the tag, adding an "include" filter with the chosen file's name (including extension)
4) Switch the tag to "seamless" (click the button that is labeled "manual")
5) Add the program to the run-at-startup list (whichever one you use) and forget about it!

Thanks muchly, it does, like I said, exactly what was needed.

~Orstrin