Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 01, 2014, 01:57:39 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: XYplorer ends Lifetime License  (Read 3746 times)
rjbull
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »

With apologies if this has been mentioned before:

XYplorer: The End of the Lifetime License

It looks like this will happen in January 2013, so you have a few days left to run and get it.

XYplorer Buy Now (or forever regret it)
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

If someone asks me I would say something not sustainable now wasn't sustainable 12 years ago either. Not my place to question it just saying not a fan of these kind of these decisions. No offense meant to anybody smiley
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

Markets change, and needs change.  The market is considerably different than it was 12 years ago, and the pool of potential buyers is different also.  That's just basic economics, I think.

rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

That angle would be plausible if/when you are making a pricing change, if you want to say there is not as big a market for lifetime licenses.
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »

Not saying that there's not as big a market, but if your revenues start depending on upgrades, then lifetime licenses wouldn't be sustainable.  that's my point...

rgdot
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »

Not really different than what I am saying. Lifetime carries a risk that is not really dependent on 12 years ago or today. Lifetime is always a limiter of upgrades, 12 years ago or not.
For example if you want to account for economic conditions for how you license your software then be ready to ride out recessions when you see benefits in growth times.

Not trying to be argumentative , just presenting a viewpoint.
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »

There's a very loose usage of lifetime that consumers really cannot interpret:
  • lifetime of the product
  • lifetime of the purchaser
  • lifetime of the company/corporation (the producer)
  • lifetime of the software platform, e.g. the OS
  • lifetime of the beach/coast where you bought your condo
and there's no clear definition of which applies when you make the purchase.  And, should the provider be purchased by another entity, that can all go out the door.  Happened to me with WinZip:  had a lifetime license from Nico Mak, but that was ignored when he was bought out by the current (?) vendors ... so I quit using it.

Make a good day ... barn
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »

Well, say what you like, but this is being handled in a courteous and professional manner. Holders of previously purchased lifetime licenses are being grandfathered and there's at least a 30 day heads up to everyone visiting the website, giving potential purchasers the option to buy lifetime licenses and be grandfathered. Contrast this with other developers who have changed licensing models with no announcement and no warning when "lifetime" licensees upgrade their software (Collectorz anyone? There are other examples but I no longer recall company names).

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

There's a very loose usage of lifetime that consumers really cannot interpret:
  • lifetime of the product
  • lifetime of the purchaser
  • lifetime of the company/corporation (the producer)
  • lifetime of the software platform, e.g. the OS
  • lifetime of the beach/coast where you bought your condo
and there's no clear definition of which applies when you make the purchase.  And, should the provider be purchased by another entity, that can all go out the door.  Happened to me with WinZip:  had a lifetime license from Nico Mak, but that was ignored when he was bought out by the current (?) vendors ... so I quit using it.

If anything I'd call it the lifetime of the company, since I'd think the license would be valid even if your product break. Such as if you somehow restored it, or maybe even bought a new copy, seems to me the license is usually legit. It could sink into oblivion, and become obsolete, but probably still valid. It's when the company croaks that cross-buyouts of IP begin to get silly when the new owner can decide not to honor the previous license.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »

Well, say what you like, but this is being handled in a courteous and professional manner. Holders of previously purchased lifetime licenses are being grandfathered and there's at least a 30 day heads up to everyone visiting the website, giving potential purchasers the option to buy lifetime licenses and be grandfathered.

You can't ask for anything more than that and nothing to complain about.

As long as a company does not take away the lifetime upgrade rights promised to people who purchased it originally, then there is nothing whatsoever for anyone to be upset about.  And giving a window for new people to jump on the bandwagon before the lifetime stuff changes is even nicer.  thumbs up
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »

This is an issue that I've been thinking about for more than a few years. I've been planning to post a blog post about it, so I'll hold off on comment until then. I've been planning this blog post for a few years...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »

As long as they actually abide by their grandfather clause I don't see any problems with that.

Lifetime licensing (other than as a reward for early adopters) isn't a sustainable business model.

And most consumers (so far) don't like subscription arrangements when it comes to software.

So the only way to get cash flow is by selling upgrades which (hopefully) offer additional capabilities and value.

I personally think these folks did the right thing, put their cards on the table, and changed their model before it reached crisis level. Hopefully it will work out for them. Lets wish then well. They make a fine product.
 smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
paulobrabo
Supporting Member

The Brazilian Bomber

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:50 AM »

By the way, version 11.90 free today on Giveaway of the Day.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.
jadinolf
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »

I'm glad I got XYplorer before the lifetime deal changed.

Great program!

Printed on 100% recycled bytes
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:59:05 AM »

It was one of my favorite Windows programs of all time. But that seems a lifetime and another OS ago!  tongue

- zaine (on Google+)
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »

About 4 more days left:

The End of the Lifetime License

Beginning with the publication of XYplorer 12.00 (planned for January 28th, 2013)
mitzevo
Supporting Member

Control is power

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 05:17:48 AM »

Bumpty bump: Guess who's back in town! XYplorer lifetime license pro for only around $80, and currently has a deal for 50% off... http://www.bitsdujour.com...xyplorer-lifetime-license

Thmbsup

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.049s | Server load: 0.12 ]