I got a shiny new Dell Inspiron Mini 10
for Christmas from my girlfriend.
I knew it would be a time-sink the first day I opened the box, so I have waited until today to do so.
- Intel®Atom®Processor Z530 (1.6GHz/533MHz FSB/512K Cache)
- 1GB RAM (fixed size on CPU/Memory daughter board)
- 10.1" Widescreen Display (1024x600)
- 160GB, 2.5inch, 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell) (optional upgrade that can have up to 8-hours w/o WiFi or much HDD I/O)
- Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
- Windows® 7 Starter for Small Notebook PCs, 32bit, English
So today's task is to determine the best way to configure my new toy. So far I have just begun brainstorming about what software will go on it as "Levels 1-3".Level 1
is the stuff used to keep the machine backuped up and sandboxed.Level 1
If I don't use an Acronis product for backup and recovery, I also have full licenses to...
Other items I could add to Level 1, but I am not sure about (and I would like to hear you opinions on.)
- FirstDefense-ISR as I have a purchased version of the origional professional workstation version that supports "Freeze". Not sure if I can run this when Acronis recovery is installed.
- RollBack Rx is also an option because I purchased a license as an upgrade when FD-ISR was discontinued in is origional form.
- Returnil Virtual System 2010 Home Free because it's free and I haven't taken a look at it in a long time.
is online backup and recovery.Level 1a
- SpiderOak.com for online backup and secure file sync that is cross-platform.
is the security level, including anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-rootkit, firewall, etc. I don't plan on running any of these items fulltime. Realtime scanning just slows a machine down needlessly for any advanced used that remains conscious of what they are doing. I will only use on-demand scanning nightly and anytime I download a file. I won't use a personal firewall most of the time as I will be inside private LANs. When I am using public WiFi I will run a firewall.
I haven't made any decisions on what software I plan to use here.Level 2
Software I have licenses for...
- Norton Internet Security 2010 - My girlfriend uses this as she is familiar with it and it has gotten good reviews from the trade press. She has a 3-license pack. I have used it recently to try, but the realtime stuff (as I fully expected) slows my other laptop to a crawl. I may install this suite and turn off all the realtime features and only use the stuff I need on-demand.
- On a whim I purchased a 3-pack of VIPRE Antivirus because it was dirt cheap and it claims to be fast. I have yet to try it and might try this to see how fast it really is.
- The computer comes from Dell with an 15-month license to McAfee software, but I despise McAfee and won't use it.
Other viable options are Comodo's AntiVirus
products. I have used both in the past and was reasonably happy with them. And I see they have added a Anti Malware
software product to their lineup.Level 3
is the utility level where I map drives by various means -- SMB, SFTP, SSH, online storage, etc.Level 3
I am very
interested to learn what ideas for changes or tweaks on levels 1-3 you have.