topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Volery Makes Installing Software Incredibly Simple  (Read 11268 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Volery Makes Installing Software Incredibly Simple
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:37 PM »
Volery is a cool new service created by two programmers in San Francisco who believe that installing software shouldn’t require work. It’s simple to use and has a large selection of popular freeware and open source applications. Just pick the apps you want to install, download the Volery installer, then walk away and do something fun while it does all the work for you. The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in. Volery isn’t even installed on your system, you just use a stand alone executable to begin the install process.

Invite code and link are at end of the article.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Volery Makes Installing Software Incredibly Simple
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Great find! About time!
one problem es that one cannot customize where the apps will be installed, right?
Also, customizations won't travel with you. I prefer portable apps + sync program.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:03 PM »
This is not for the power user or people with special needs, like portable apps and custom install locations. The targeted user is someone that just goes with the defaults.

The developer did hint (in a comment) at the possibility of custom install locations being added in the future, though. (said he would keep it in mind)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:42 AM »
this would hopefully simplify the numerous steps one has to go through when trying to install a program in hurry. the plan is good and i wonder how the execution will be?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Excellent find, app  :Thmbsup: Has anyone tried this yet? I use "custom" installations for everything - 99% of the time to avoid unintentionally installing Yahoo toolbar or the like. This *might* be an attractive way to install a lot of the software that I trial.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58 AM »
WinRAR is neither open source nor free
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:30 PM by Dormouse »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Since there is 7-zip why even include WinRAR? 7-zip can extract rar archives is 95% of the time more effective when (re-)archiving in its native format.

Case in point, I have here a Oracle database dump with a size of 90Gbyte. When archived with 7-zip the result is a file of 1,8 GByte. Using that same dump with WinRAR results in a file of 5,6 GByte. Both use their ultra mode for creating the archive.

I like WinRAR, but you will not see me getting a new license for their latest version. The file manager from 7-zip is quite limited especially when compared with the one from WinRAR but that part of both applications is hardly used by me anyway.

OK, back to the point. As it looks like, the items in the screenshot show that most of them are paired up (utorrent and emule, VLC and KMPlayer etc.) The WinRAR slot could be filled with a more useful piece of similar software like PeaZip [sourceforge], another service for on-line backup or even better...off-line backup like Yadis! [codessentials]

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Being that this is a business venture, it is likely that in time they will include even more payware options, if they can make some sort of deal with the company to make commissions on any new customers they pick up from an install. It's possible that WinRAR is their first customer.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:42 PM »
I use "custom" installations for everything - 99% of the time to avoid unintentionally installing Yahoo toolbar or the like.

Out of curiosity, does Volery not have (or at least give you the chance to opt-out of ) any of the usual toolbar "includes" - or will they just get installed automatically along with the main programs? If they get included automatically, that alone would be an absolute showstopper issue for me.

Unfortunately, slip-installing such add-ons would be a very easy way for them to 'monetize' their service. Especially if they decided to start building them into Volery itself rather than just using the includes that normally tag along with a specific app.

So...anybody try it yet? :huh:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:54 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, does Volery not have (or at least give you the chance to opt-out of ) any of the usual toolbar "includes" - or will they just get installed automatically along with the main programs?
The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in.
:P :D
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Out of curiosity, does Volery not have (or at least give you the chance to opt-out of ) any of the usual toolbar "includes" - or will they just get installed automatically along with the main programs?
The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in.
:P :D

Thx tomos

Just goes to show the importance of rereading the ENTIRE thread before you post. Especially if you've come back to comment on it a few days after you read it the first time! .

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I just tried the link and the invite still works! They said it was for only the first 100 so I thought I had missed out, but it worked for me.

Seems like it would be better if the installer let you pick which applications to select, instead of having to select the applications from their website and then download the installer for just those programs.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:53 PM by Deozaan »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 01:24 AM »
I guess they want to keep you coming back.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:46 PM »
downloadsquad reports that Volery is now relaunched as Ninite.

http://www.downloads...ree-apps-on-windows/