Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 29, 2014, 11:19:00 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help? Learning how to drive...  (Read 10962 times)
stansrailpix
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »

How about some tips for a parent (me) teaching a son to drive ? undecided
          Thanks,
                       Stan

Stans Railpix : A Free RailPhoto Gallery  !   http://www.trainweb.org/railpix
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »

How about some tips for a parent (me) teaching a son to drive ? undecided
          Thanks,
                       Stan

Wear a motorcycle helmet.  Not for crashes, but to keep you from pulling your hair out.   dance

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »

Oh god, I'm starting to freak Grin

Mom took me out on Friday after school and I had another go at the parking lot - lots more crosstraffic and cut-throughs due to the Blockbuster, so I had a good time interacting with the traffic tongue

Ended up hitting 35MPH (intentionally) and that was enough for me (bit fast for a parking lot though) and am getting good at pulling/backing to angled spaces (dad let me park at Wal-Mart this morning, and I did a "good job" at it smiley). Also tried to parallel park twice - first time was accurate, but 18" from the curb (about 1/2 a meter) and the 2nd time was 12" (1/3 meter). Not bad for a first time shot in a rigged environment.

Still gotta run down to MVD to get my Learners Permit, guess I'll do that next week or so (school has made things hectic) and then I can get out on the road with all you other crazy people tongue

New website! With a fancy domain name and everything! *gasp*
http://www.wreckedcarzz.com/
olla86
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 09:34:41 AM »

How about the special computer tests or programms Cool

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:57:44 AM by olla86 » Logged
sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »

You can't say you know how to drive unless you have driven in India.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »

Looks like parts of NJ.  tongue

redstarnyc
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »

Reminds me of midtown manhattan

RedstarNYC
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »

I'm hoping that some of you can give me some thoughts on how I can prepare myself better before I go out to BtW (prior experience is a requirement).

You absolutely must have prior driving experience before you can attend your Driver's Ed class? That doesn't make sense. Isn't the purpose of Driver's Ed to teach you how to drive?

I had never driven a car until I did so in my Driver's Ed class. Then after I got my license I had to learn how to drive stick shift because that's the kind of car we had, and my mom didn't want me driving her BMW.

To be honest, I didn't want to drive her BMW either. I hated driving for the first two or three years. I always saw it as a huge responsibility and not a fun, enjoyable thing.

Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »

And besides that, a BMW is a rear wheel driven car. Those behave (really) different when you encounter a traffic situation where drastic action is required. Front wheel driven cars are behaving more "friendly" in those situations.

Having said this, I like the driving experience that is BMW (yep, I'll admit it....BMW fanboy here). 
sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »

When I was new to driving, I watched this video series:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BSMDrivingSchool

Thmbsup

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »

And besides that, a BMW is a rear wheel driven car. Those behave (really) different when you encounter a traffic situation where drastic action is required. Front wheel driven cars are behaving more "friendly" in those situations.

Having said this, I like the driving experience that is BMW (yep, I'll admit it....BMW fanboy here).  

In Neal Stephenson's book Snow Crash, there are numerous traffic scenes where BMW drivers "immediately took evasive action."

Later on, he remarks that BMW drivers always seem to feel the need to be taking "evasive actions" - and wonders if this is how they justify, to themselves, the high price they paid for their cars.

From my experiences on the highways around where I live (and where skittish lane-changing BMWs abound) I truly believe Stephenson was on to something.

@Shades - So since you own one...is that true? tongue

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:25:56 AM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »

Hey....those 'horsies' in front keep working and working...when on the autobahn (Germany) you really have to take evasive actions all the time to show off those 'ponies' for those who are speed challenged.  tongue

And I owned 5 of them during my Dutch driving career. Yep, I'll admit to being a fanboy.

Currently I don't even own a car but a motor cycle. All the evasive 'training' did pay off however. Entering the traffic here on my bike can be really hazardous. There are more than enough people here that have just bought their driver license. Unfortunately this is no joke.

Luckily there are not too many BMW's out here  Wink   

MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »

Hmmmmmm, looks more like "quadruple parking" than "driving" though. smiley

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.048s | Server load: 0.27 ]