Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 18, 2014, 06:28:50 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: My main hard drived just died so i'll be offline today (8/16/09)  (Read 7528 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

the hard drive on my main pc apparently completely failed last night while i was asleep.

i believe (pray) i have a week-old backup.

hopefully all will go well and i will be back without much data loss sometime today.

-mouser

ps1.
if i don't get back online in time -- some other coder on the forum needs to make a screencast of their program and post it, so we keep with the one-screencast-per-day project this month.
ps2.
i can still access the forum from secondary pc so ill be around occasionally today.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:01:54 AM »

sad to hear that but good luck on the data restoration.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »

ok i'm back.. not much lost.

just another reminder that backups are SO important.  i got lucky this time since i had a recent backup.

please everyone develop a backup system and stick to it.
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »

Phew! Glad to hear you didn't have to go through too much stress.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »

*cough* RAID-1 *cough*

- carpe noctem
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:55:09 AM »

*cough* RAID-1 *cough*

or use MirrorFolder if nothing else - which offers more choice (being able to select specific folders).
mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:46:37 AM »

thumbs up
gexecuter
Supporting Member

Move over and give us some room...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »

That's bad to hear, i backup my stuff into a dvd every time that i re-install windows. Not the best method but it's all i have since i have only one hard drive.

Mouser is made of win and awesome!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:48 AM »

i backup my stuff into a dvd every time that i re-install windows. Not the best method but it's all i have since i have only one hard drive.

that's just not good enough.

you need to establish a system for backing up your documents and data much more regularly.. maybe using a free online backup service.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:04:09 AM »

*cough* RAID-1 *cough*
or use MirrorFolder if nothing else - which offers more choice (being able to select specific folders).
Yeah, that'd work as well. The point is you need your most important stuff automatically synchronized to a second physical disk, at all times, and of course in addition to a backup scheme.

I personally prefer RAID-1 since you can keep running your system while waiting for new disk / rebuilding the array. My main disk is now a SSD, though, so I'm out of the RAID-1 game for my workstation smiley

- carpe noctem
y0himba
Charter Member

Yar.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:08:20 AM »

I lost my main HDD last night also.  about 1am-ish as I was getting ready to go to bed, BSOD.  I keep all of my documents on a separate physical internal HDD (D:) and when I install Windows I just change the paths to the "My Documents" folder Etc.

I keep an image of Installed and configured Vista on an external USB drive, and do incremental updates every night automatically using Acronis True Image.

I also install Steam and all of the games on that drive, then all I need to do is install the Steam client to the directory and my games are there, configured.  

It took about an hour to be back up and running, now I need to buy another HDD. cheesy

My Web Site:  http://www.y0himba.net
gexecuter
Supporting Member

Move over and give us some room...

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

i backup my stuff into a dvd every time that i re-install windows. Not the best method but it's all i have since i have only one hard drive.

that's just not good enough.

you need to establish a system for backing up your documents and data much more regularly.. maybe using a free online backup service.

i know it's a crappy system but i don't have many files that i would terribly miss if my hard drive were to fail, maybe some word documents and small stuff like that. Once i get my college degree (hopefully this year) and get a job (maybe next year) i can spend some money into a PC that has a hard drive exclusively for backup purposes.

Mouser is made of win and awesome!
Innuendo
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »

Just had a hard drive problem myself on the same day Mouser did. My problem was more insidious and harder to diagnose, though.

A SATA cable was becoming marginally bad & was sporadically "losing" the drive. For a while I thought  I was going to have to do the "RMA a drive" thing. Man, what a pain...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.06 ]