topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: TV Show/Movie Library - Discussion  (Read 12443 times)

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: TV Show/Movie Library - Discussion
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Hi There,

Please leave a message about what you think about this idea.

I've been looking for a perfect app for a year now, and I've still not been able to find anything that totally fits me. What am I looking for? Not a full screen media center like XBMC, nor MediaPortal. This is just a simple app which minimizes to tray. First priority is TV Shows management, but Movies would be nice though.

A user enters a path to a folder where (mulitple) tv shows are around. The multimedia files will be scanned and based on filenames more information will be downoaded with the thetvdb api. (e.g. thumbnail, official title, release date, plot etc) The downloaded information will be stored in a database file (xml maybe? per tv show 1?). You could see the hierarchy as a tree:
TV Show - Season - Episode

The app should not run in full screen by default (maybe an option for later on). The most important part is the UI. I want it to be simple but sleek and smooth.

The most important part is: When you clicked a file to start playing it, it does open in a custom external media player. This is because this app is just a library, not a media center.

Movies could be scraped and added the same way as tv shows, but with some different scraper like imdb.

This is just a way too difficult idea, but it would be sweet if it would work...

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: TV Show/Movie Library - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Ok, my comment: if you watch so many TV shows that you need/want such a program, you might want to think about cutting it down a bit.  8)

"Television is the creamy filling that distracts us from the substance of our lives."
-- Author unknown

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:49 AM »
i've heard of Media Companion but haven't tried it.

Media Companion is a program created for people who keep large collections of media and wish to catalogue and organise it.

It has the ability to parse media files and download corresponding information from the internet, this includes movie plot, rating, actor details, backdrops, posters and much more.

While the above is largely automatic the program also allows the user to edit all information downloaded, and browse all available posters and backdrops for selection.
-website

http://www.billyad2000.co.uk/

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Ok, my comment: if you watch so many TV shows that you need/want such a program, you might want to think about cutting it down a bit.  8)

"Television is the creamy filling that distracts us from the substance of our lives."
-- Author unknown
You are a parent yourself right?

i've heard of Media Companion but haven't tried it.

Media Companion is a program created for people who keep large collections of media and wish to catalogue and organise it.

It has the ability to parse media files and download corresponding information from the internet, this includes movie plot, rating, actor details, backdrops, posters and much more.

While the above is largely automatic the program also allows the user to edit all information downloaded, and browse all available posters and backdrops for selection.
-website

http://www.billyad2000.co.uk/
I've tried it. The UI is in one word terrible. It sucks big time.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I've tried it. The UI is in one word terrible. It sucks big time.

yes, it looked quite busy.. :D

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17 AM »

-- Author unknown
I'm just someone who came to the conclusion that as much TV as I used to watch is not what will transform my (then) current life situation into my perfect life situation. So I acted and cut down TV hours massively. No regrets.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:26 AM »

-- Author unknown
I'm just someone who came to the conclusion that as much TV as I used to watch is not what will transform my (then) current life situation into my perfect life situation. So I acted and cut down TV hours massively. No regrets.
True, but I do have a social life.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50 AM »
1) A user enters a path to a folder where (mulitple) tv shows are around.
2) The multimedia files will be scanned and based on filenames
3) more information will be downoaded with the You could see the hierarchy as a tree: TV Show - Season - Episode
4) The app should not run in full screen by default (maybe an option for later on). The most important part is the UI. I want it to be simple but sleek and smooth.
5) The most important part is: When you clicked a file to start playing it, it does open in a custom external media player.

Some thoughts:
1) Easily doable.
2) Are your filenames done according to a personal scheme?  Or, do they follow the typical scene standard e.g. Some.TV.Show.s01e04.avi (the "s01e04" being the important part).
3) I haven't looked into the API much but the fact they even have one bodes well for something like this.
4) Hmmm...full-screen?  I was envisioning just a typical Windows application look.  Did you have something else in mind?
5) Easy.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38 AM »
1) A user enters a path to a folder where (mulitple) tv shows are around.
2) The multimedia files will be scanned and based on filenames
3) more information will be downoaded with the You could see the hierarchy as a tree: TV Show - Season - Episode
4) The app should not run in full screen by default (maybe an option for later on). The most important part is the UI. I want it to be simple but sleek and smooth.
5) The most important part is: When you clicked a file to start playing it, it does open in a custom external media player.

Some thoughts:
1) Easily doable.
2) Are your filenames done according to a personal scheme?  Or, do they follow the typical scene standard e.g. Some.TV.Show.s01e04.avi (the "s01e04" being the important part).
3) I haven't looked into the API much but the fact they even have one bodes well for something like this.
4) Hmmm...full-screen?  I was envisioning just a typical Windows application look.  Did you have something else in mind?
5) Easy.

2. Yes, all the filenames alread have the markup, but sometimes like: 304 episodename.avi (it's season 3 episode 4) but the total path says: E:/TV Shows/TV Show Name/Season/304 episodename.avi. But sometimes it is 1212 (12th season, 12th episode). Not that hard I guess?
4. If you start with the typical windows application look it will be good. Maybe you can use the graphics that thetvdb provide as a background or something (fanart, it's called).

Did you see the part where the app saves the library to a database?  Is that do-able?

*4: It would be sweet if you could scroll cover flow like trough the thumbs of the episodes! But some simple scroll thing is fine aswel.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 04:25 PM »

-- Author unknown
I know people with a strong social life who are still miserable quite often.  ;)

Anyway, if TV shows contribute to your happiness, enjoy the show(s)! :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Coeluh, due to other commitments, I may not be able to get to this Snack anytime soon.  If anybody else has the time, go for it.  I'll keep it on my list and hope that I can get to it in the future.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Coeluh, due to other commitments, I may not be able to get to this Snack anytime soon.  If anybody else has the time, go for it.  I'll keep it on my list and hope that I can get to it in the future.
Oh ok thats cool. My request is more clear now, so that is positive thing.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14 AM »

-- Author unknown
I know people with a strong social life who are still miserable quite often.  ;)

Anyway, if TV shows contribute to your happiness, enjoy the show(s)! :Thmbsup:
Well I'm getting back to Counterstrike now, I've to go to school this afternoon in Winnenden. After my Counterstrike game I'll go play lame-ass pingpong.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 01:34 PM »
http://www.mediabrow...ic.php?f=8&t=744
This thing is opensource. Maybe this one can be used to work standalone?

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Anyone up for this job?

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 05:34 PM »
This is a pretty complex thing that you're after and I have no possibility to work on it ATM.

It has some similarities to what I was aiming for with the AlbumDisplayer plugin (https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13955.0 ) -- to very quickly, and without stealing too much focus from other apps, let the user browse/filter through a collection of some sort and then do actions (play audio/run game) on the items. Though AlbumDisplayer is currently in a much cruder form than the thing you're requesting and it presupposes that the images are downloaded separately.

I still think that FARR could be a great media library displayer. A plugin that utilizes Everything search could very quickly do live searches for thumbnails, read metadata files (separate apps to download metadata and covers for music already exist) and display results in a slick large-thumbnailed FARR window. The user can then filter further or run or otherwise interact with the content items. That type of setup could work well for music, movies, tv episodes, books, games, image collections, comics -- well almost anything one can collect and represent visually through a thumbnail.

Coeluh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Family Guy ^^
    • View Profile
    • Jeroen Coelen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 06:19 AM »
This is a pretty complex thing that you're after and I have no possibility to work on it ATM.

It has some similarities to what I was aiming for with the AlbumDisplayer plugin (https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13955.0 ) -- to very quickly, and without stealing too much focus from other apps, let the user browse/filter through a collection of some sort and then do actions (play audio/run game) on the items. Though AlbumDisplayer is currently in a much cruder form than the thing you're requesting and it presupposes that the images are downloaded separately.

I still think that FARR could be a great media library displayer. A plugin that utilizes Everything search could very quickly do live searches for thumbnails, read metadata files (separate apps to download metadata and covers for music already exist) and display results in a slick large-thumbnailed FARR window. The user can then filter further or run or otherwise interact with the content items. That type of setup could work well for music, movies, tv episodes, books, games, image collections, comics -- well almost anything one can collect and represent visually through a thumbnail.
The FARR ting could be activated via a shortcut like tv and then the search query. But I think I can not create such thing.