Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 12:58:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windows cannot find "Blah-blah". Make sure you typed the name correctly and ...  (Read 7285 times)
Billuri
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:36:23 AM »

Hi.

I have a problem with FARR on my laptop. I am facing the problem especially when i try to start Live Messenger using FARR.

1.) When i make FARR use the Launch method  "Method 1 - ShellExecute (original method)" FARR simply does nothing.

More clearly, I press key combination to launch FARR, FARR appears, I type "messenger", see the Live Messenger in the box and then press ENTER.
After that, FARR window disappears and i expect the messenger to be launched.
But nothing happens. NOTHING.

2.) When i make FARR use the 2nd launch method  "Method 2 - ShellExcuteEx (new method)" windows displays an error message window:

Windows cannot find 'messenger program link'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,and then click Search.

(See the attachment)

What could the problem be?
Please help.
Thank you.

* untitled.jpg (48.81 KB, 640x125 - viewed 324 times.)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »

That is really strange.. does it only happen with that one shortcut, Live Messenger?
If you start the shortcut manually from your start menu, does it work?  The screenshot lists the program directory in the "Out of Business" folder, so it makes me think maybe the shortcut itself is nonfunctional.
Billuri
Participant

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:38:54 AM »

Hello.

The problem is solely with Live Messenger shortcut. When I click the shortcut using the usual way (by first clicking the start button, then so on) it works normally. The shortcut is functional.

My laptop is intended to use at work, so i collected all the programs that are not related to my job under a folder named "Out of business"  cheesy cheesy

That folder is what you noticed  Wink

Same problem also exists on my desktop at home. And again only with Live Messenger shortcut.

P.S.
There are many program links under that folder (Out of business) and none of them gives a similar error.

Thank you.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:10:38 AM »

i vaguely remember a situation where Farr couldn't launch a program because the .lnk had a space in its name, either at the beginning or at the end. maybe it's related but i can't find the thread though.. undecided

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 04:14:39 AM »

ok, here is the thread... incidentally it was Windows Live Messenger as well..

Source: BUG: Can't launch results that end in space

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »

Ah!! thank you for remembering that!!!!!!  Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »

You know.. i'll bet there is a story behind why there is a space in that shortcut name.. Microsoft had to have a reason for that.. i wonder if someone can suss it out..
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:50:41 AM »

or maybe the devs accidentally tapped the spacebar twice while coding the create shortcut procedure. Wink

d4ni
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »

I don't think it's on purpose either, just a mistake. If it never gets fixed, though, it might be somehow on purpose. Go file a bug report to be sure cheesy!
Billuri
Participant

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:09:33 AM »

OMG...

lanux128, you're my man...

it is solved...

Thank you sooooooooo much  Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup Thmbsup

And thank you mouser, and everyone for paying attention to my problem...

And of course thanks to the one who discovered the issue smiley

You're all great people...  Thmbsup Thmbsup
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:06 AM »

you're welcome, glad to be of help. Cool

if Microsoft doesn't fix this soon then we will have to put this in Farr's FAQ. Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0 ]