topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1041291 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2012, 11:43 AM »
... a tribute to the Amiga computer.
+1  :Thmbsup:
I've surprised more than a handful of folks with my links to current Amiga developments.
Yes, the software is still being developed (well, as of 2008...):
http://arstechnica.c.../amigaos41-ars.ars/1
Yes, hardware is still being developed:
http://en.wikipedia..../wiki/AmigaOne_X1000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam460ex
and with Cloud becoming more and more the way folks use their computers, Yes, it still might mean something.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Good stuff guys. I loves me some Tim Minchin. :)

I saw Jonathan Coulton, who wrote "Still Alive", perform it live a few months back. Pretty awesome. :)

- Oshyan

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2012, 08:47 AM »
synchronicity (ˌsɪnkrəˈnɪsɪtɪ) —noun
   (1) an apparently meaningful coincidence in time of two or more similar or identical events that are causally unrelated

I recently found this on YouTube quite by accident while looking for something else.

For those of you who are Portal fans - or just enjoy a cute song - here's the famous ending credit number Still Alive sung by the computer-villain GLaDOS and cleverly re-purposed as a tribute to the Amiga computer.

I'm amazed at how well it works in this context. ;D

Better watch it before they take it down. :) :Thmbsup:

That was so cute! I had to watch it twice~! :D

(And downloaded it!)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #353 on: February 08, 2012, 10:41 AM »
That was so cool, I had to go and find it again!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Ok...I don't know about the rest of you...but I'm pretty much burned out from all the serious 'politics & technology' discussions we've been having for the last two weeks.

I need a break.

Here's a neat little group from Norway called Katzenjammer. They're one of those "weird groups" as they're usually called in the industry. Oddball instruments, eclectic program, unusual but solid interpretations of other people's music, and some very good stuff of their own. Easy to listen to. (And not too hard on the eyes either.) A 'fun' group in the truest sense of the word.

from Wikipedia:

Katzenjammer is a Norwegian band from Oslo which was formed in 2005.

The band members are Anne Marit Bergheim, Marianne Sveen, Solveig Heilo and Turid Jørgensen. Their music mixes genres such as folk music, pop, rock, country and balkan music. Even though the members are from Norway, their lyrics are in English. The four members switch instruments often and have a stated goal of playing instruments they haven't played before.[1] They play more than 25 different instruments, including some which are quite unusual in a band setting, such as accordion, contrabass balalaika, zither, ukulele and melodica. The band collaborates with Mats Rybø, a fifth "phantom member", who has written the bulk of the band's songs.

The band cites many influences including Goran Bregović, Danny Elfman, Django Reinhardt and Knutsen & Ludvigsen. Also, the band states that they are not only inspired by folk but cartoons as well.

Gotta love them taking chances like that! :Thmbsup:

Just what's needed (along with four or five good drinks and some decent pizza to tuck into with friends) at the end of a disturbing newsweek.

Demon Kitty Rag (Actually, it's more of a vamp than a rag...but who cares?)

An interesting take on Michael Rutherford's Land of Confusion:

and...

Shepard and Princess

After several drinks and a few hours I'll probably move over to industrial metal and techno. Possibly ending the night slumped against a wall staring off into space as I let hard core death metal blast all around me... (@Renegade - consider this me throwing down the gauntlet! ;D )

But for now, I just want something sweet, light, and genuine.

So ladies...if you will indulge me please? :)
 :Thmbsup:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Nice find 40! That's one bad-ass big ol' bass!

- Oshyan

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45 PM »
[...] Katzenjammer [...]

They're great quality 40 (all round)
Dirhael posted about them last year two years ago now (time's flying here...) so here's another couple by them - one of them's blocked/censored here, the other is live on a boat :D

[...]
Let's start with some bands from my country, Norway

A couple of tracks from the great Norwegian folk band Katzenjammer, adds +2 to you mood, guaranteed:

Katzenjammer - Ain't No Thang (Live...in a small boat)
http://www.youtube.c...IdYoMpINQ&fmt=18

Katzenjammer - A Bar In Amsterdam
http://www.youtube.c...bdCDeKSoI&fmt=18
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2012, 04:53 AM »
Not a music video, but a movie, "Color from the Dark" is an H. P. Lovecraft adaptation:

http://www.indiemovi...colour-from-the-dark

(Picking up from the Cthulhu stuff in another thread in case anyone is interested. Seems like everyone loves Cthulhu, though I'm sure there are some secret Azathoth lovers out there too~! ;D )

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Not a music video, but a movie, "Color from the Dark" is an H. P. Lovecraft adaptation:

http://www.indiemovi...colour-from-the-dark

(Picking up from the Cthulhu stuff in another thread in case anyone is interested. Seems like everyone loves Cthulhu, though I'm sure there are some secret Azathoth lovers out there too~! ;D )

Nice find! Thx for the link.

If there any more closet members of Starry Wisdom out there in need of an additional fix of Cthullu's elder evil goodness, be sure to check out Chris Lackey and Chad Fifer's H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast at www.hppodcraft.com

Light-hearted discussions about HP's works. Fun guest hosts, readings of some of the better known segments, plus an occasional full text reading  - complete with creepy music and subtle sound effects.

Fun show -and not too serious like some Lovecraft sites are. HP was known to have a great sense of humor, and he often did spoofs and pastiches of his own and fellow Weird Tales writer's (i.e. Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Frank Belnap Long, and a bunch of others - all of whom seem to have three names each. Very posh, no?) works.

In the meantime, rot your brain watching Cthullu in 3D!

FWIW, the above "movie" pretty much sums up the gist of most Cthullu stories. So if you don't have time to read Lovecraft you'll at least know you've grokked their essence once you invested the requisite 40 seconds watching My Little Cthullu 3D!
 ;D

-----

@Ren - Cthullu called. He wants to have a drink with you. 8)
Researchers discover Cthullu's favorite poison!
absolutv.jpg

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:30 AM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2012, 02:57 AM »
This is hilarious!

It's reminiscent of Gary Brolsma's Numa Numa video. :D

And he's got a lot more videos, too.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51 AM »
Sometimes we forget to listen to Jimi and need a reminder. ;)

For whatever reason, I was never that crazy about his music until I heard Tracy Silverman's cover of 1983. Unfortunately, there is no youtube video for it. You'll have to go to his website and listen to it.

http://www.tracysilverman.com/ttts/

Click the link for the 2nd track on the left sidebar. You won't regret it.  :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2012, 09:38 AM »
This is hilarious!

+1 there :-)
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2012, 10:48 AM »
This is hilarious!
It's reminiscent of Gary Brolsma's Numa Numa video. :D
And he's got a lot more videos, too.

Yep, he's something of a celebrity now:
http://en.wikipedia....g/wiki/Keenan_Cahill

Pretty cool... and from what I hear, his parents never suspected his clandestine celebrity until 50 cent showed up at their house to do a cameo  :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Someone I've followed for years: Deborah Henson-Conant - harpist extraordinaire.

When was the last time you heard someone bend notes, play the blues, and do some Hendrix on a "harp" that wasn't made by Hohner?

Smart, small, funny, and intense...here's Deborah playing and singing her Way You Are Blues.

She's just as sweet and genuine offstage as she is on. Plus, she has a wonderfully dry sense of humor.

All in all, a very interesting person to either listen or talk to.

There's lots more of her up on YouTube. Awesome Lady! :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:06 PM by 40hz »

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2012, 05:20 PM »

Not much to say besides the song being pretty good and the video being a huge shoutout to old adventure games and consoles.
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #365 on: February 15, 2012, 01:59 AM »

Not much to say besides the song being pretty good and the video being a huge shoutout to old adventure games and consoles.

Wow, this brings back a lot of memories...
.merle1.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #366 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Some of the best from one of the best: Chrissy Hynde

Tatooed Love Boys

MiDDLE OF THE ROAD - Live Aid 1985

Even today, she can still do it better than most rockers half her age.

Precious (live)

The guy on the Les Paul lets the time on his solo get away from him towards the end despite Chrissy and everybody else in the band trying to get him back down to the correct speed. That's one guitarist due to get his ass kicked royally by Ms. Hynde once everybody gets offstage and back to the greenroom. She doesn't suffer fools gladly. (She's been known to occasionally 'dope smack' band members when they piss her off.) Oh my, yes!

Don't Get Me Wrong (live)

Again note Chrissy around the 2:25 mark doing a little counting an time synchronizing to help the guy on the right keep it together.

Cantankerous and complicated, onstage and off. She's still everything live rock is all about. And one of the very few good music things that came out of the 80s.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:58 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #367 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06 AM »
why stop :)

The Pretenders ~ Stop Your Sobbing

(a Kinks song)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #368 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11 AM »
@tomos - Absolutely! That was the original (and best IMO) Pretenders lineup. The later incarnations never completely recaptured the magic of James Honeyman-Scott (died of heart failure brought on by cocaine intolerance) on guitar and Pete Farndon (fired from the band for performance issues brought on by his drug problems - and found dead in his home from a heroin overdose a short while later) on bass.

Not that it hasn't stopped Chrissie from trying to get it all back, as is evidenced by the fairly large number (13 and counting) of former members the band has since had in it's lineup.

The later incarnations of the Pretenders were good. Just not as good as the original. Fortunately, Chrissy Hynde remained consistently superb throughout all the vagaries.
 8) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:19 AM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Meanwhile, in Ukraine...

Band: Selo I Ludy
Song: It's My Life - Bon Jovi

I've always been a big fan of Eastern Bloc Metal, but... accordians!  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2012, 02:18 PM »
^ that was great Edvard :up:

I've always been a big fan of Eastern Bloc Metal, but... accordians!  :Thmbsup

have you heard Russen Disko? More brass than accordions - but I think there's a few of them too. I think there's a film (German language) but I havent seen/heard anything about it (first was a book, then a mix album, then the film - ah, I see it's not been released yet).

Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2012, 02:58 PM »
@tomos - We've apparently come a long way from the days when it was only Boris Grebenshchikov you'd hear about from Russia. :)

I've always been a big fan of Eastern Bloc Metal, but... accordians!  :Thmbsup

Wow, an accordion that looks like the front of a 1953 Cadillac, a balalaika, a set of Ludwig drums, and a Fender Jaguar bass...doing a Bon Jovi piece in Russian (mostly) in the Ukraine on TV!

Anybody have any doubts it's a small world?

And it gets even crazier. This is Abigale Washburn, a traditional and roots player (along with her own stuff) who is popular over in China.

hat.jpg  banjo.jpg

NPR has her in for one of their Tiny Desk Concerts. (Note: I really like the Tiny Desk series because it pares everything down to the basics. Much like a private "living-room concert," Tiny Desk is just the band or performer setting up and playing in NPR's offices to a small audience of people who really know music. There's no lights, or exotic sound tech, or stage sets - so there's absolutely no place to hide. It's musical performance stripped down to its absolute essence. If you really want to see what a musician or group is made of, just have them perform in a similar setting, and you'll soon discover who really 'has it' - and who just gets away with it.)

From the NPR website:

abigale.jpg

Abigail Washburn's music career, now 10 years old, had an unlikely start. Washburn had plans to study law at Beijing University in China. She'd also recently bought a banjo — she wanted to take something to China that was American — and she'd fallen in love with the music of the legendary Doc Watson, in particular his banjo playing in the classic folk tune "Shady Grove."

So Washburn decided to embark on a road trip to study the banjo, and to learn tunes. She found her way to the Augusta Heritage Center in West Virginia, then to North Carolina and then Kentucky to the International Bluegrass Association. It was there that she sat down with a few women to play music, and right then and there was offered a record deal.

So her plans changed and she canceled her journey to China. Still, even though Washburn began a music career instead, the country remains in her heart. Her career has since taken her to China, and she now mixes American bluegrass and folk with Chinese folk music.

You can watch it and find out more about her here. (Sorry. NPR doesn't allow you to embed video like YouTube does.) There's also a bunch of videos of varying quality of her up on YouTube.

This isn't the sort of music I usually listen too. But I must admit her music has grown on me with repeated listening. It's got a certain simplicity and purity of sound that masks the sophistication of the music and the group that performs it. It's a subtle thing they do. And they pull it off brilliantly.

Breath of fresh air AFAIC. And just the thing to clear the head after a busy day. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:47 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Well look who's back! Van Halen.

They're a bit older, and heavier, shorter-haired, and slower - with a new recording which sounds considerably more refined and somewhat self-conscious than their earlier manic and borderline out-of-control trademark sound.

Maybe it's a function of age or increased maturity? (Both of which don't slot too well with the entire premise behind Metal.) Either way, it's an enjoyable enough song on it's own. These guys can still sing and play - although I kept hoping they would step up the tempo just a tad since the song seemed to drag slightly in a few places. The drumming, always the weakest link in the VH line-up (and further argument against hiring family members) is certainly much better than it used to be. On second thought - scratch that remark. Eddie's son Wolfgang is far better on bass than Michael Anthony ever was.

About the only real problem I had with the video was some of the choreography. Which is to say it's all very obviously mapped out down to the last move. And David Lee Roth also needs to cut down on the dance antics a bit. What might be amusing and cool for a 20-something to do up on stage in a live rock concert only looks silly to the point of embarrassing when performed by a man of 58 in a carefully edited 'artsy' music video...

But then again, David Lee Roth wouldn't be David Lee Roth if he acted any other way would he?

And it's good to see Eddie up and about with guitar in hand following his bouts with chronic avascular necrosis and cancer.

Welcome back guys! Please don't blow again it this time. ;)
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:42 AM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2012, 05:31 PM »
^Wow. Didn't take long for that video link to get taken down! :-\

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Well look who's back! Van Halen.

nice song, Diamond Dave sounds like he always did, but he looks like one of the beach boys :o

maybe it's just me, but somehow that just seems wrong