Nice that you've been able to reproduce - it's such a bizz when you can't, or it's only possible intermittently. So, I guess the trick is to make a request with IE, another with working-FF, and a third with faulting-FF, and then check the server logs. At least that's what I'd do, but I'm no web developer, mind you
Me either man, I'm a Network/Server Admin and I prefer to work in C++ on system utilities...I only do the website stuff with a gun to my head.
The part that was killing me was yesterday I was on the phone with our (official) company web guy who was using FF2 while I was using IE7 We were both coming from outside the building (in-house server) him from home & me using RDC, both doing forced refreshes, I loaded fine, and he failed consistently.
An exhaustive review (I'm talking 4 hours) of the server logs showed that 90% of his activities, and 100% of the outage reporters activities did not
appear in the logs (even tho I have full logging enabled). I even used the time stamp on the Email he'd sent (to a constantly monitored mailbox) from the web form to match up the records and there was nothing there except for my internal visit (which was logged) 10 min after shit hit the fan.
So how the hell we managed to break half of something I've not a clue. So here's the weird part... Last night I managed to over complicate the diagnosis by noticing that there were Win updates available for the server ... Which of course required a reboot. now here's the now clear in retrospect time-line of the misc relevant events:
I exasperated toss FF3.0.1 in an XP VM and load the site correctly.
Trying to troubleshoot an issue that I know is impossible, I Email my results to the web guy hoping to confirm the results as I've no clue what version of FF he's using.
I go watch TV and wait for response from web guy.
Knowing I'll never be able to sleep I start dinking with the server notice and run the updates (server restarts...).
Web guy gets Email in morning, grabs latest copy of FF to confirm my results, him not knowing and me not thinking about the relevance of the restart (ShiT...) "we" both (separately) conclude that the issue lies with FF2.
Now the fun ensues... because I'm do to start a much needed vacation - so I gota get this MF fixed NOW!!!
I go at the Logs with a vengeance.
The anomalously missing log entries begin to paint a picture of some manner of intermittent systemic error ... This type of occurrence generally makes one thing of restarting something ... I go googling for an old copy of FF, install it on a Win2k VM, and confirm my now very strong suspicion that I'm a Friggin Idiot.
Because no matter how close one get to attaining a goal, there is always
plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong...