Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 02:49:52 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ram Problem Update  (Read 1740 times)
bobparham
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »

On March 31, I posted the following.

I have a problem that is driving me crazy. Hopefully, someone can give me some idea what the cause is and what action I should take.   

I have a desktop computer with MSI motherboard and Intel Celeron 3.06 Gig CPU. I realized several months ago that the 512 mb of RAM was inadequate and slowing down my computer. I decided to add a 1 gb stick of RAM in the one empty slot as MSI stated the motherboard would accept up to 2 gb of RAM “mix and match” in the two slots provided. I purchased the 1 GB stick of generic RAM and installed it which gave me a 512 mb stick in one slot and 1 GB stick in the other slot. That is where the troubles began. My computer would shut down periodically. It might be a matter of hours or it might be as much as five days.

I removed the 512 mb stick and I still had the problem. I replaced the 1 GB stick with the 512 mb stick. It took five or six days but it still shut down. Now I don’t know what to do as my computer shuts down with either one or both sticks of RAM. There is no question in my mind that I need additional RAM but what should I do? Is it possible that something else has happened to cause the shutdowns and not the RAM?

Carol Haynes, FODDER, Mouser and Dormouse all came to my rescue and I appreciate all the input I received.

My problem, as frequently happens, turned out to be a couple of problems which complicated everything immeasurably.

The main problem turned out to be a faulty Belkin UPS. I suspected a problem here (since it did not function properly in the event of a power interruption) but for a long time I did not suspect it would contribute to the RAM problem. (Apparently, the UPS Coincidentally went bad about the same time I decided to add more RAM.) I bypassed the UPS and used memtest to check both sticks running at the same time. Removing the faulty UPS took care of the RAM problem. I then put the side plate on the system box and in a short time the computer shut down again. This led me to believe that I needed some additional cooling. I added another case fan in back pulling air out. I replaced the side panel and installed a new APC UPS. The computer has been running without shutting down for four or five days now. Hopefully my problem has been solved permanently.

I post this in case anyone else has a similar problem so that they might benefit from my experience.

Again, thanks to Carol and the other guys for their input.

Bob Parham
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

Thanks fo the follow-up, Bob.

It's always interesting to see how these things resolve.
One never knows when the info might be useful.

Glad to hear you have some grounds for optimism.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.031s | Server load: 0.29 ]