topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A Valuable Lesson Learned About Using Program Lanuchers Like DirectAccess  (Read 3494 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Today I learned a valuable lesson that I want to pass on to you all.

I was trying to make changes to my environment - changing my PATH, CLASSPATH, JAVA_HOME, etc. but nothing seemed to take affect. Every time I opened up a fresh shell the changes weren't there. I ran alternate shells like PrompPal and the changes weren't there either. I started up XYplorer and launched some programs, all of them without the changes.

Then it dawned on me what was happening. I brought up SysinternalsMicrosoft Process Explorer and sure enough, I was right.

1-30-2008 10-08-06 AM.png

I was launching *everything* via DirectAccess - including XYPlorer. This means that the environment in place when DirectAccess was launched, was being transmitted to each program it launched and every program launched by those, etc.

So whenever you make any changes to your environment, make sure you restart any of your launchers so those changes take effect.

[added]
And don't forget to restart any applications that were started by the launcher as they will continue to keep the older environment even when you restart your launcher.